Cost of a marine setup

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanna kno, how much would a total budget for a complete marine setup be if its a 3foot tank and sump?

Reaction score
soft coral reef setup... but in terms of equipment, pumps, skimmer, sand etc... for decent setup how much am i looking at?

Reaction score
highlander thats a really open question I am afraid. in general most guys will tell you that marines are really expensive, not the total truth as you can save costs (opposed to cut corners) what you need to do is have a few :peroni: , think about what you want to achieve with your tank and then start looking for that tank. You could have a fish only tank, with some Live rock or you could slip in a farm of sps with lighting and flow to match and the same size tank will have two very different costs.

what I found incredibly valuable in MASA to start is to openly ask what guys think the value is of something...ie is it expensive for what you are getting. That way you can keep within a budget.

Just remember, save costs, dont cut corners:)

my 2c

Reaction score
tank between R4000-R8000(sump, stand and canopy) if you build it self R3000(tank and sump)

light between R1200-R4000
pumps R2000

between R5000-R12000

Reaction score
4 foot tank will be better than 3foot tank, water parameters will be more stable than 3 foot, and you will use the same equipment

Reaction score
hi dood
go for the four foot, the cost of stuff to run a three foot is the same as the bigger one. you will outgrow a three foot to soon and it will cost bucks to upgrade later on.
bigger is better. and it is not that much more cash to start
peter bee

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I am no expert, but for my 2c worth .....

the cost of a complete setup is inversly proportional to the amount of patience you have.....

look at the second hand forums... even with shipping, it is much cheaper going this route

Reaction score
And the hidden costs are: Plastic Containers; Canopy for lights (If you don't buy the complete light setup); Screws/Clips/lampholders;Cable ties (The best invention ever); Electrical wires; multi plugs -you'll see how many plugs gets taken up with a reeftank; Timers; Testkits for water parameters; Activated Carbon; filterfloss; Patience.

Biggish Costs- Protein Skimmer- get the best one possible and a Chiller if you live close to hell

Reaction score
not the total truth as you can save costs (opposed to cut corners) what you need to do is have a few :peroni: , think about what you want to achieve w
Crispin, Your problem is you are always sitting and having a couple too many :peroni: so nothing gets done :whistling:

PS: What happened to your pretty avatar