Correct way to clean sandbed in dt

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Charl_Stanhope, 31 Mar 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

hey guys.

Ive got a 3cm deep sandbed in my display tank. What is the correct way to clean it. I get brown algae,diatoms(if thats what you call it) on my sandbed. At the moment I am sucking it up with a gravel clean and then it drops to the floor again. Ive got natural beach sand in my dt. Should I stir it and wait for the crap to settle and then only lightly suck up the top bit of my gravel or can I continue doing it as I am at the moment.

Thanks again for all your help guys. i would have given up a long time ago if it wasnt for this forum.

Special thanks to Frans that pop into my home to check out my setup. Made me feel a whole lot better knowing that someone with experience told me that my tank is not too bad.Thanks Frans

Last edited: 31 Mar 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

I normally just stir up the bottom sand to the top and let the crap settle, or either be taken out by the skimmer. I don't go look for the filth but ya that's me:). You can stir it as much as possible and use a filter sock or wool of some sort over the overflow pipe and collect all of the detritus in the water, and then just rinse out the sock and use it next time...

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Diplomacy???
    just kidding, Frans is a good guy.

Siphon just above the sand, sucking the diatoms off. Else you can just disturb them. They will come back the next day, but diatoms will eventually go away. Cayno bacteria, looks almost the same but got bubbles caught in it, can also suck it out.

Or get a few hermits. Or sand sifting goby. Just not the yellow streak or whatever the right name is. They tend to drop sand all over the lower lying stuff.

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

thanks for the quick replies. will just suck the top diatoms.stir it up a little and also get a hermit. Cant wait for them diatoms to go away. But Im still having fun.

Recent Posts