Corraline growth between nsw and salt

Does corraline grow faster using NSW or saltmix??

• Natural Saltwater

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Saltmix

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Other additives

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I would like to start this debate to find out the truth:

Does corraline grow faster using natural sea water or does it grow faster using sea salt???

My vote would go with Synthetic, not by far, but just a bit. But as per usual its the why that I find more interesting.........
Lets think about it.
The first thing to start dying back when ca, alk and mg becomes depleted, will be corraline. This will happen before any corals start showing signs of ill health. Another very important factor in corraline growth is the ratio of ca, alk and Mg. Here nsw gets a bit ahead, as often synthetic mixes do not match nws ratios perfectly. (And Jah knows best mon!) However, the ratio of these three important factors rapidly become skewed in nsw, as acidifying processes rapidly consume the buffering reserve, i.e. what we measure as alkalinity. Synthetic mixes have a higher buffering capacity for alkalinity, so they are able to maintain the ratio of carbonates, Mg and Ca for a longer period of time.

We can get a lot more technical, and bring a calcium reactor into the mix, but i suspect that even then synthetic will win. Unless of course the reactor media releases more carbonates (in a ratio at which acidifying processes deplete alk) You see where I am going?

Not taking anything away from your interest in starting a debate we can all learn from, but, Does it really matter.
Whether you are using nsw or synthetic, just keep the ratios correct, the levels in check and stable and corraline will follow.

If you want to find out the truth, do you suspect someone told you an untruth...... Maybe as a sales pitch, guessing for synthetic??????? If that be the case, they need to rethink their strategy, (go back to salesman school) as the difference in a well maintained system with either nsw or synthetic would be small enough to be called insignificant.

Personal experience has shown me that high phosphates reduces corralline algae growth. So - which ever has the LOWEST phosphates, and the highest calcium/magnesium, WILL WIN....

IF you were to use NSW, add calcium/magnesium, run a phosphate reactor - then you will have amazing corralline algae growth.

IF you use synthetic salt, AND still dose calcium, run a phosphate reactor - then you WILL have amazing corralline growth....

All of this IF YOU DO NOT OVERFEED!

IF you do indeed OVERFEED - then you are putting phosphates back into the water. THEN your corralline algae growth will start slowing down/perhaps receding. This is because you will MOST likely then place MORE phosphates back into the water, than what the phosphate reactor (and/or algae scrubber) removes OUT of the water.....

Sean I find my coraline grows much better when I have elevated CA, ALK and MG...it's a real PITA for me to keep my ALK above 8dKh so I now have very slow growth...but almost my whole back is covered. I also scrape my bottom every month as it covers that too...

I know you add MG but what you using for Alk and CA?

What your levels at - if you don't have reliable kits let me know and I'll pop around and we can do a test for you... :)

I found these to be good parameters in order for Coralline to grow whether it is NSW or Synthetic.
Ca 380-420
Alk 8-10DKH
Mg 1350
Po4 as low as you can get it.

Thank you for that Ivan, it is indeed a mouthfull. Also, thanks for the input from the other guys, but keep it coming.

Shaun, if you want to come over and test my alk, I would not mind.

How do you get your alk up? I dose, Strontium, Magnesium, Iodene, kalkwasser and I use NSW- sorry, off topice here, but jsut answering the question.

I do have Corraline growth, but I have seen tanks that are 05 months old, with zillions more corraline than I have

Mekaeel, last time I tested anything was before Dean and Alan came to visit- just seems that everything is happy- so no testing of any sorts is done. Alk question was just out of curioustiy

Try some of that stuff called "Purple Up", apparently it increases coralline growth.

Mekaeel, last time I tested anything was before Dean and Alan came to visit- just seems that everything is happy- so no testing of any sorts is done. Alk question was just out of curioustiy
Sean, now with the heavy bioload you got. Keep an eye on your water parameters. Your corals are gonna be sucking Ca and Alk.

CaribSea Purple Up
Directions: Shake well before use. Add 1 capful (5 ml) per 50 gallons no more than once daily. Place in the sump, near a powerhead outlet, or any high flow area of the system for rapid dispersal. Purple Up will cause some temporary cloudiness. Check calcium levels regularly. Adjust dosage of Purple Up to maintain calcium levels between 380 ppm and 420 ppm (380 mg/L to 420 mg/L). Do not exceed 420 ppm on a regular basis or significant precipitation will occur. (IMPORTANT! Wait at least 1 hour after using Purple Up to test calcium levels or erroneously high calcium levels may be indicated).
Factors for Best Coralline Algae Growth:
  • Purple Up does not contain coralline algae. Some coralline algae must already be living on rocks or aquarium glass.
  • High dissolved phosphate levels inhibit the growth of coralline algae (and corals) and favors the growth of nuisance algaes. Check phosphate levels and use Phos-Buster or other products to lower phosphate levels if necessary.
  • Carbonate hardness levels should be maintained at natural seawater levels or higher.
  • High nitrogenous waste levels encourage nuisance algae growth, keep nitrogenous waste levels in check.
  • Keep pH in the range of normal seawater (8.2).
  • Light spectrum in the range of 5500°K or higher favors the growth of coralline algae.
  • Grazing animals such as snails, tangs, and reef friendly hermit crabs encourage coralline algae by consuming competing fast growing nuisance algaes.
  • Coralline algaes have a life cycle that determines the speed of formation of new colonies. Different species of coralline algaes may grow at different rates. It is not unusual to take several months for pink and purple coralline algaes to reach rapid growth rates.

Sean, listen to Mekaeel :p Now that you're loaded up with corals try to at least check CA and Alk once a week, or should I rather give Alida a ring and tell her to do it :tt2:

Back
Top Bottom