Corner sump and tank design

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by wvanzyl, 20 Oct 2009.

1. wvanzyl

wvanzyl

Good day all,

I want to build a corner tank.
    After a bit of researched my focus changed slightly from getting the perfect corner tank to getting the perfect corner sump designed. I came up with the following which at first might seem like over egging the omelette but hear me out. I'll explain what this is all about.
    [​IMG]

The main idea for this sump is really simple; build a sump with one compartment for the skimmer (overflow from tank), another compartment for a dsb, and then a third for the return pump. What complicates this small requirement is when you start running the numbers (using the general consensus that you would need 9 - 16 square centimetres of dsb for every litre of water in your display tank) you will see that a 450 x 450 dsb, which was the original size, can only sufficiently support a tank of around 200 litres. This dilemma got me thinking until I came up with the above. In short:
    Compartment A will house the skimmer.
    Water will flow from A to B to C to D to E to F to G to H then finally to I.
    Compartments B, E and H will each be a dsb
    Compartments C, D, F and G are only there to assist with the water flow. The main aim being to direct water flow across the entire surface of each dsb. These compartments can probably also be converted into dsb's otherwise it will be wasted space.
    Compartment I will house the return pump.
    Below you will see a 3d picture of the above:

[​IMG]
    This type of design will contain a dsb large enough to support a display tank of 461L (giving 11.36 square centimetres of dsb per litre of water in the display tank)

After designing my tank I realised that franssny has the exact same thing so I will drop him a pm to get some inside knowledge ito water flow etc within the display tank. The tank will look something like this;

[​IMG]
    I would appreciate you guys to give me some input regarding this sump design. I know there are still a lot of improvements that can be done.
    Thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

looks very good, nice sump design

4. wvanzyl

wvanzyl Thread Starter

Thank you dallasg and Frans for you valuable input. I applied the enhancements we discussed over the phone. This is what the new setup will look like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I actually might rather go with a second hand cube I saw yesterday but it would be good to get you guys comments on the above.

Cheers

5. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Willie,

See no - one has answered yet but this is exactly what we discussed, just bear in mind that once you drill the centre there might be structural issues so I would go base double of the sides (ie if using 10 mm for sides go double on the base)

As I mentioned over the tele the other option is to use one of the sides as an overflow for the whole length

Recent Posts