Corals? which would work?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by NADEEM, 25 Jul 2012.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hello everyone
    I will be getting my first marine tank this weekend, a boyu TL550, the tank is already setup, has LR, has zoas and mushrooms, 2 x clown fish, 1 x bi-colour blenny, 1 x cleaner shrimp and one little crab.

I do not wish to add antying to this tank immediately, would like to keep it as it is for at least a month or 2 after i get it, the fish that are in the tank already are perfect, i dont want anymore fish in this tank, but what i would eventually love to add is some coral.

i have ZERO knowledge of coral, have done lots of reading and still feel like i dont know anything, perhaps im reading all the wrong things.

I keep planted tanks, and understand the needs of different plants, and that some plants will survive under low light but wont thirve and will never show their true colour and such.
    This Boyu has std lighting, 2 x 24watt PL Tubes(blue and white), the skimer is std, i will be getting one 3000L/h vibration pump with tank, and have another one in one of my planted tanks which i can move to this marine tank.should i?

so my question : what coral would you guys suggest i can keep in this tank, i can not afford to upgrade lighting at the moment, so have to work with what i got,lol.
    not only the tank, what coral would be safe with the current livestock in the tank. i would like to have an idea of what coral i may be able to keep so i can do more detailed research and find out what these corals need and where they should be placed and so on. really dont want to be buying and killing things because i did not know.

Sharp
    Nadeem

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Those are corals :) You can add some more colourful zoa's, perhaps some leather corals like a kenya tree. There are some useful care sheets here that should help as well coral care sheets - ASIRA

4. DubKorps

DubKorps

Hey @NADEEM .... its not standard lighting ... @Meneer added a extra pl tube which makes lighting a bit better, not sps standard better but there are loads of corals who would do well under those lights...... As a beginner I would suggest sticking to easier to keep corals but also take into consideration the size of the tank.... So you wouldn't wana fill it with just anything and later run out of space when you built knowlege of what you really would wana keep.... So take your time with stocking.... you lucky to get a tank with fish and corals, good start .... But just make sure of the extra light coz he advertised the extra light as part of the tank....there should be 3 pl tubes instead of the standard 2 ..... Shout if u need assistance

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Thank you for that link Viper, nice link. yes i know im very lucky to at least be getting some beautiful corals with the tank, its juts that eventually i would like to add corals i always admired when visiting pet shops and aquariums. so want to elarn about them early so i can make a good informed buy later on.

these are actually the corals i REALLY like : what do you guys think?
    1. Torch Coral
    2. Frogspawn
    3. bubble coral
    4. candy cane

yo Dubkorpz - i dont think he advertised the tank with the extra light hey, when i went to view tank, meneer had already removed the extra light because it was not working out as the contacts were not sealed and were getting wet. so im not actually sure if thats included in sale but will speak to him.
    I understand im a beginner yeah and will definitely not go too fast and mess things up, just like knowing and doing plenty reserach before hand.maybe will be able to visit a few of you guys and 'steal with the eye'...haha

6. DubKorps

DubKorps

So you an LPS junky lol... Those corals you like fall under LPS(long polyp stony corals).... Hitup @Arries he has a beautifull LPS tank slightly smaller than yours

7. Arries

Arries

Hey buddy...
    Those are the easier LPS to keep...Great to begin with...Give them low-medium'ish flow and keep them middle to top of tank(seeing that u have std lights) keep ur nitrates at about 2 and ur PO4 low as possible and ull see they will be very happy...Reason for NO3 is i found if i go lower than that they tend to sulk abit...Remember PH,KH,MG and CA also play a big role with LPS so keep them incheck...And most important weekly water changes.....
    But if u wanna pop in to have alook ur welcome...I did do a DIY upgrade on my lights look for it under DIY forum...Very cheap upgrade and it work super great...Also upgraded the skimmer as the skimmers are really bad for me...
    Goodluck with the tank and PICS PICS PICS we love them....:thumbup:

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Before you start stocking, really recommend you get to know the parameters of your system and how to maintain them correctly. Ask as many questions as you can and research the answers you get. Once you are confident with the setup and its inner workings, research the needs if the corsl you wish to purchase and if you know you can orovide it, go ahead and buy.

9. 2balive

2balive

Great corals, the torch/frogs are by favorite group of corals. Also look at anchor coral. Note that you can mix torch, frog and anchor corals as the don't fight (or at least in my tank they don't). Take a look, they can be stunning if placed together, but give them growth space. I would just recommend tat you get branching types, found them easier to place than the non branching type.

The bubble coral can get big and have aggressive sweepers, so give it some space.

Can also look at fox coral's, they may be a little bit more difficult to established.

A nice addition is to add blasto's to the mix, expensive and requires good water quality, but stunning color and stay on the rock surface.

10. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys, @irie ivan 100% dude, i will not start buying corals anytime soon, i need to learn the tank first and the parameters and stuff, will not torture any of these beautiful corals.
    i am getting a 3000l/h sunsun vibration pump with tank, you guys think this will generate the correct flow for these corals? or should i add another of these pumps? (i have one in my planted tank i could use).

Thank you for all the help guys @Arries would love to come have a look at your tank and chat about possible lighting mods.

Recent Posts