Corals coming back to life?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Bflynn, 1 Mar 2013.

1. Bflynn

Bflynn

I got some new LR that I added to my tank a week ago! I will post another thread on that:)

Anyway! I got some shrooms and many other critters with the LR, including a red hermit that I only discovered last night!!:yeahdude: I also got some candy cane skeletons as well.

It seems as if one of the candy cane skeletons is growing a new head. I have got now idea how old the skeletons are, or if it is even a new head. Could just be a shroom, but it does not have the typical shape of a shroom.

I just need to satisfy my curiosity. Is it a new candy cane head? Best pic I can get:whistling:

The second pic is of my Heliopora that emerged from my Fiji LR. The tiny polyps on this coral are extending more by the day:thumbup:

DSCF8335.JPG

DSCF8330.JPG

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Any one out there have any clue? If not I will have to wait and see if in fact it is a candy cane or mushroom.

4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

looks like a shroom to me, and more likely cus shrooms are quite hardy, some can even move if im not mistaken. And the helio is gorgous

Last edited: 2 Mar 2013
  5. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Hey deadmeat2016! Thanks!! When I got the rock I didnt know it was still a living coral, so it was a bonus when the polyps started extending. I have plenty of shrooms in the tank, and it is more than likely a shroom.

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

cool man, shrooms love to divide and conquer :)

Although looking more closely at the pic, if it has a long trunk(like the trunk of a tree) it could be a baby pincusion leather

Last edited: 2 Mar 2013
  7. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Trunk is short and fat. Almost the size of the head. Funny thing thou, is my other mushrooms with heads about same size dont have a fat trunk. They are slender. Also! It dosnt open and close much. It will expand in the light and contract at night but not much at all like the other shrooms. The more I think about it now, the more I am wondering what it is. Also it does not sway in the current at all. Im gonna take a better pic now!!

8. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

:angry:Left camera at in-laws again:angry:
    Lights out in tank anyway! Will get better pics tomorrow.

9. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Then it could be a leather :)

10. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

A leather would be cool! But at this point I think I will just have to wait and see what it grows into.

Thanks! deadmeat

11. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

In the pics, it looks like some red bubble algae growing. I would remove that as soon as possible, as it can ruin your tank. Just be careful when removing the bubbles, do not break them, as that will release more spores in the water.
    And yes, it also looks like a mushroom to me. ;)

12. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Hi Gessiggie! Sorry for me asking, but why is it a nuisance algae? Does it spread quickly or, does it release toxins?

I like the look of it, and if its not going to kill anything then I might leave it?

I dont have much of it in the tank, so removal will be easy if I have to.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2013
  13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

14. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

As NJ's info states, not all bubble algae are nuisance. But that particular algae spread easily and is difficult to control.
    I also thought it looked nice, and left it. And regretted it a month later. Whole tank full of red bubbles. Took me months to get rid of it, and system still not 100% clean.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I will get rid of the red bubble algae before they matures. They go dull and burst open eventually, releasing loads of spores. Take the out, by scraping the root part off. Try to not pop them open. The smaller ones should be OK as they do not have the spores yet, but do not pop bigger ones. I had a small patch originally. Looked so cool. ended up spending hours cleaning rocks a few months later.

16. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Hi Nemos Janitor, Gesiggie, RiaanP

After allot of reading plus the advice from u guys and gal, I have decided that I will be getting rid of the red bubble algae. I have some on two candy cane skeletons, which are the biggest and smaller ones on a few spots on the LR.

Im moving house on the weekend of the 15th, tank as well. I think I will then take the gap and clean the LR and discard the skeletons. Put the tank back together nice and clean.

Thanks again for the info and heads up!!! Its great getting good feedback and advice:)

17. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

I think im rather going to clean and keep the skeletons, as they have little orange tube worms on them.

Can anybody ID wirms from pic?

Shot!!

18. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Wirms???LOL!!

Recent Posts