Urgent help needed corals closed not opening

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by wookie, 6 Aug 2014.

1. wookie

wookie

Hi guys a bit concerned i did a 50 litre water change on Sunday and now my frogspawn hammers and torches are remaining closed, salinity is 1024, calcium was low so added calcium all other parameters are ok, i have turned off my Phosphates reactor and cleaned skimmer . Should i be concerned as my pin cushion is fine bubble anenomae is ok and xenia is ok.

IMG-20140806-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20140806-WA0003.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Meg G

Meg G

What is your parameters?
    did you check the tds of your ro water?

4. Meg G

Meg G

put the phosphate reactor and skimmer back on, also change the medium in phosphate reactor as you do have phosphate( if you have algae you have to much phosphate) you should not add ca if you make a water change/ you will take ca mg and kh out off balance and salt contains it in balance. most problems i have seen is tds problems it should be 0 before you mix the salt.

5. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Thanks my shimmer is still running will change medium in reactor to night and turn back on, so how do i resolve tds and will test water again.

6. Meg G

Meg G

Get one from a good dealer. ask for a tds meter. are you using rodi water?

7. Meg G

Meg G

they are really not expensive mine was 170, was shock my water was running at 750

8. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Hi yes thanks .ro water will shop around for one so will my morals be ok

9. Meg G

Meg G

i dont know what is causing the shock, but corals are hardy. make sure you keep your mg kh cal balanced.
    there is a reef calculator on google for dosing.

10. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

I changed my salt as went to a different lfs when i got the ro water so will test alkalinity i wonder if that maybe a factor?

11. Meg G

Meg G

most salt are so near that its not the problem. its normaly our fault by not making a water change. then the difr in pare is to great and corals is shock. they realy want stable good qaulity water. kh must be more than 2.5meg/l and most salt do that easy and corals does not consume that much, if your mg is also low your ca level will not be stable. normaly its three times you ca level. rather make small water change more often than one large one. if you skip a week rather make two small ones the next week. imo you should not be ading anything in that tank with that corals only a 5% water change a week.

12. Franna29

Franna29

I had the same problem. And the problem was iodide (the good one) that crashed.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2014
  13. Meg G

Meg G

Hi norml if its I2 your coral become pinkish and then start to bleach.
    i dont put anything in my tank if i cant test for it( Golden rule ) :)

14. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Did the test .kh was2.5 .ph ok and Phosphates low so am stumped. Cleaned out Phosphates reactor removed the carbon and recharge with phos guard. Will see if they improve if not will move to a friends tank till i find the fault.

It occurred to me early hours of this morning my star fish has not been around since sun/Mon so I'm up at four looking for him and he's gone or died and that maybe the problem. Now just have to try fix it can't seem to find any remains in the dt of the sea star. Have put some matrix carbon in the reactor this morning to absorb anything that maybe in the water. Any other advice would be appreciated here guys. Thanks

Last edited: 7 Aug 2014
  15. Franna29

Franna29

did not bleach or turn other colors just looked real unhappy and did not open properly, have to say it is a new tank. but all is right now..

16. JohanB

JohanB

You will have to post tank size and NO2, NO3, NH3, PO4, Mg, Kh, Ca to get a good idea. Also dont change any parameter too quickly.

Last edited: 7 Aug 2014
  17. Meg G

Meg G

phosphate test kits are useless your algae is consuming it before it is release in the water. phosphate over .02 can grow most algae. hope you have rinse the phosgaurd. corals dont like the dust. it maybee a doc spike. leave the tank for a couple of days. so it can recover. then symphon most dom out of gravel and do a water change.

18. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Thanks Meg g yea i rinsed the phos first. The hammers are looking better this morning but frog still pretty closed up. Will test for .kh as is a bit low.and ammonia will post parameters tonight. Thanks guys

Recent Posts