Coralline - Why is it important?

Reaction score
After having read numerous threads, including comments in my own, there is always a reference to coralline, and how good it is to have in your tank.

So I had to ask why, seeing as it is a type of algae. What makes it better to have than others?

I have searched around on the internet, and checked a few books and have come to the following conclusions :

Coralline is an indicator of a healthy tank. Certain factors contribute to coralline growing in your tank, but from what I have read, it can only be introduced by live rocks. Factors that are important in having it grow, are obviously certain parameters, very important ones being alkalinity, sg, Ca and lighting.

Alkalinity has to be in the normal rang (not sure of exact parameters right now), sg around 1,024, Ca around 400 and they grow under good lighting, even actinics.

Why is it good? Various reasons have been given. From the fact that wherever it grows, no other lower form of algae (micro algae) should grow. And it provides calcarous structure to reefs, and helps cement reefs together.

'Coralline algae are especially important in reef construction, as they lay down calcium carbonate as calcite. Although they contribute considerable bulk to the calcium carbonate structure of coral reefs, their more important rôle in most areas of the reef, is in acting as the cement which binds the reef materials together into a solid and sturdy structure.' - The Botany Dept - University of the Western Cape.

So, that is what I know so far. Will be doing some more reading and research.

Any input will be appreciated.

Because it is the unsung hero in reducing global co2 levels... We worry about the rainforest's, what about the coralline.
Coralline is an indicator of a healthy tank. Over simplified; but with a new tank; a great indication that conditions are suitable for skeleton growth

I don't know about other reefers but I have found beter coraline growth with CA at 450

how good it is to have in your tank.
Depends what else is in your tank. Of course it looks aesthetically pleasing, encourages settlement of coral larvae and does its bit to cement reefs toge.......

BUT, my tank it competes with corals for calcium and alkalinity, IOW costing me money to suppliment.........

i agree with Ivan,i found that coralline drains my Ca,Alk and Mg levels.noticed espescially after it recently took a foothold in my tank.even my skimmer is a pink DNW 200 now :p

Yeah, my non reefing visitors refer to my pink ts4 as that pink gay bubbly thing.....

I do like coralline in a tank to me it is one of the indicators of a healthy system and if it is sucking the supplements then just up your dosages a bit more. Having said that i do believe too much of a good thing can be detrimental to your system. We spend a fortune on live rock for its filtration capabilities and the more porus the rock the better the capacity to filter, now what happens when you cover that rock in coralline which is not porus at all, what happens to the filtration capabilities of the rock?

Last edited:
I do like coralline in a tank to me it is one of the indicators of a healthy system but and if it is sucking the supplements then just up your dosages a bit more. Having said that i do believe too much of a good thing can be detrimental to your system. We spend a fortune on live rock for its filtration capabilities and the more porus the rock the better the capacity to filter, now what happens when you cover that rock in coralline which is not porus at all, what happens to the filtration capabilities of the rock?

Now that is an interesting question, looking at my Coralline growth, it's plating on each other. Looking closely there is loads of gaps in the coralline growth so I reckon the water still gets into these rocks but how effectively and does the coralline inhibit the flow ?

I reckon you could do an experiment with exact same water quantities and Nitrites, Nitrate and Ammonia levels with LR (with and without Coralline)

Do over a week or two and test levels and see which rock consumes more

Hi advp - just out of interest sake - do you know that you get different types of corralline algae? No only the actual coloration, but the family and genus of different corralline algae differs as well.

Back
Top Bottom