Coralline Problem

Reaction score
As you will see, I have the dreaded pink stuff on my silicone joints, any suggestions how I get it off.

I am to scared to use a blade :whistling:

52848ceb9a3225d6.jpg

No getting it off, except for emptying the tank, blasting it with light and letting it fall off with a gentle rub. & btw, why is it dreaded.

Allot of urchins will eat coralline.

No getting it off, except for emptying the tank, blasting it with light and letting it fall off with a gentle rub. & btw, why is it dreaded.

Where it is growing on the silicone i would just leave it there.
I would presume you calling it 'dreaded' because its chowing up your Ca and Alk?

Dreaded because what it's making my tank look like, check how messy the glass is getting, let alone the back pane.

if you had to use a blade closely to the silicone, wounldn't at least break? maybe leaving a bit on the silicone behind?

The thing I am afraid of is, if I nick the silicone and the coralline gets into it. I was enquiring if there any non-abrasive ways of getting it off.

The thing I am afraid of is, if I nick the silicone and the coralline gets into it. I was enquiring if there any non-abrasive ways of getting it off.

Don't think so, next best thing i recon would be to get a cleaning sponge from the kitchen......

Don't think so, next best thing i recon would be to get a cleaning sponge from the kitchen......

I have a hard sponge magnetic cleaner and this works great on the flat glass, but is no good on the corners.

I think you may have an idea there :thumbup1:

Hi Warr to get off caralline off your glass not a prob, get the aqua medic mega mag with blade or kent scrapper is much cheaper it is made of plastic but for your silicone i will just leave it

Carefully scrape the glass with a blade, then use a small piece of the "cleaning sponge" and clean the silicone. The abrasive on the sponge can scratch your glass badly though! Otherwise use a toothbrush on the silicone and Stanly blade on the rest.

Your tank looks great btw! :D

I actually found that my tank has glass over the silicone joins so scraping has not been a problem.

Question: Does coralline have any benefits to our systems. It seems that it only has negatives (Ca consumption, destroying pumps, blocking pipes etc.) So shouldn't we consider this algae a nuisance like GHA, aiptasia etc.

Back
Top Bottom