Coraline algae

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by williet, 12 Jun 2011.

1. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi all

Just a quick question
    I have coraline algae developing on the back of my DT like freckles.
    Do you guys clean yours off or do you leave it to grow and cover the back?
    I have this beautiful black background?

What do you guys do?

Regards
    Willie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

personally, I eat mine.:tt2:
    No, keep it, it's a sign a maturing tank, mine is mostly pink.
    However, some guys like their tanks pristine.

4. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

just scraped mine off. don't like the freckles..

5. Annoying

Annoying

If you don't like it scrape it of, coraline uses calcium in the tank, preventing corals to absorb most of it. Scraping it of won't do any harm.

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

you can use a blade to remove it

7. williet

williet Thread Starter Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Thanks guys!

8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

IMHO, let it grow. A tank looks much more natural once the back (and side...) panes (those not used for viewing) are covered in coralline.

The coralline, being live algae, also contributes quite significantly to the filtration of your water, taking up phosphates, nitrates, etc. that could otherwise have fuelled a hair algae outbreak. Once the coralline growth is thick enough, it also acts as a substrate for other living organisms - I even have two areas where birdsnest coral (Pocillopora) have started growing on the coralline covered glass, after apparently having spawned in my tank. Coralline algae is also a natural food for many aquarium inhabitants.

Hennie

9. Trident

Trident

Yep i second that corolline is the natural way to go. Remember there are a lot of guys out there that can't get it to grow. Besides the actual calsium usage inrease is not really that noticeable. And if u scrape it off you will just get those spores to go everywhere else in the tank. It will just come back agian in greater numbers! Not practical to clean it off every week as this put's stress on the other "inmates".

10. Ari

Ari

I wish I could get corraline algae! It's a blessing! Keep it there it adds a beautiful background... Like you said:thumbup:

11. jonno

jonno

i let corraline algae grow on my back pane it looks real nice when completely covered, but if u wanna get it off an old credit card works great aswell as for normal algae it also wont scratch your glass

12. Trident

Trident

To get corolline to grow:
    1) Maintain ALK at min 10 DKH
    2) Maintain Calcium at min 420 Mg/L
    3) Maintain Magnesium at 1250 Mg/L
    4) Scrub a pice of live rock with a brush in the tank to get some spores into the water!
    5) It takes time!

All these steps are important! Skip one and no corolline!

Hope this helps!

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I never did this yet my tank has tons of coraline....

Will agree with you there

Last edited: 16 Jun 2011
  14. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Lol?! I'm gonna argue with you on step 4. I never did that and my tank is covered in coraline.

Dose some form of calcium, wait awhile and it'll grow. I used purple up for the 1st few months I had my tank and it did just fine, this was way before I started dosing alk and mag.

Coraline is not hard to grow, normally just time will do the trick.

15. AndrévN

AndrévN

Ill fully agree on all these steps. First off paramaters is key in any case. Not only for the coraline but for the other inhabitants. Note on point 4. If you scrape the existing algae you are actually making tiny pieces float around the tank and hence seeding the actual coraline to grow elsewhere. So entirely not true LOL.

But to say skip one and no coraline is untrue, as itll grow without scraping it.
    As for using purple up, it is merely a calcium additive in my opinion read the label it clearly stipulates, IT DOES NOT contain coraline BUT inhibits growth, how by adding the required additives any coral for that matter needs to grow.

And some guys do find it hard to get it to grow in there systems, others not. Even with the parameters at desired levels. Remember in my opinion if you only have base rock with nothing to seed your base rock with coraline itll never grow cause it cant just excist it needs to come from somewhere.

Coraline is natural and makes the tank look way better when everything is covered in this imho, things like sea urchins actually eats this like crazy but not only this even after they have eaten the coraline they will strip the LR of anything wanting to grow on it and the LR itself. Have a look in nature where they are overcrowded they actually do way more harm than good. Remember all things start as larvae of some sort and if these creatures graze all day long they will eat everything trying to grow. But enough of that i know of experience, since i removed my urchin from the DT i have ten fold the coraline and no white streaks on my LR where the urchin used to walk. SO it does make a difference if you dislike coraline get urchins brother.

16. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Good reply max! :)

17. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You contradicting yourself a bit here.

Think Trident was implying that scraping the rock is to the coralline and get it to colonize different areas of your tank. True that this doesnt need to be done if you already have coralline on your rock, but scraping it does speed up the rate at which it spreads.

18. malooda

malooda

hi guys

do you get white coraline algea?

19. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

To my knowledge, only if it's dead - then the calcium "skeleton" is white.

Hennie

20. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

I think the fact is that once your tank starts maturing and factoring in correct tank husbandry, coraline will start growing regardless, I even have the stuff growing in my skimmer cup! I really don't think you need to go to, any particular lengths to get it to grow. I used purple up but you could used any kind of calcium supplement to try and speed up the growth. In my other tanks the growth has been slower but it's still been there, so much so, that rock that had nothing, 6 months later were covered.

I must say, I prefer the encrusted look to bleak but it really is horses for courses. Some like a clean look as well.

21. williet

williet Thread Starter Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Brightwell's liquid reef made mine explode!!! Far better than purple up. Used it and never had the same results i have had now!!!!

Recent Posts