Coral stocking

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Kunhardt, 27 Jan 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

There is no general coral section, so i will post here.

Here is a list of corals I hope to keep in my 3ft (50 gallon) tank, running 4x39w T5's a max depth of 500mm.

Alveopora
    Kenya tree
    Frogspawn (already in tank)
    Lemon Tree coral (if we can get them in SA)
    Plating Monti
    Torch Coral
    Loco Lobo Lobophytum (again if we can get in SA)
    Clam
    Variety of zoa's,mushrooms and rics (some already in tank)

Will my lighting be good enough for these coral species?
    Will they co-exist happily?
    Is there enough room in my tank being 900x500x500?

I would also love to have an anemone at a much later stage allowing that it would be ok with the above mentioned lighting and corals. Although i may add more lighting by that stage so don't think the lighting would be a problem.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

The only 2 I would not agree with, Kunhardt, is the clam and the alveopora....

Otherwise, by all means - they are all great corals!
    And the anemone - definitely NOT.... you need MUCH better lighting for these 3 - to keep them happy and alive - long-term....

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

thanks for the feed back Jacques. I am suprised though that u say the Alveopora needs better lighting. From my reading up on it, all sites say low to medium lighting. There are varied opinions on how easy they are to maintain from novice to experienced reef keeper, but they are all pretty much the same on lighting and low flow. Your thoughts?

As anyone got one that can shed more light on this (...er no pun intended:p) for me?

5. sunburst

sunburst

Must Agree with JB on the clam, nemmie and lighting. Although your tank is only 500 deep, long term success would need more than 4 tubes.

As for Alveopora your research seems correct. I have never had the pleasure of keeping this coral but wish i had. It seems like they do prefer moderate lighting, lower than average flow and seem to be fairly hardy and non aggressive. Definitely high on my list of corals to be acquired.

The frogspawn can sting, but you probably know that already. The rest look like a happy bunch and good to go:)

Recent Posts