coral spots...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jinx, 29 Mar 2010.

1. Jinx

Jinx

Hey Hennie I bought a Sinularia coral a while back.I'f noticed some small black spots on the coral tissue....by closer investigation it seems like they these spots are entering into the tissue of the coral.

Can you please advise me on this matter.

Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

This could be normal, or it could be serious... without a better description, and some photos, it's impossible to tell.

The little polyps of the leather can look like small black spots when retracted - that's quite normal. On the other hand, there are various pests that can attack leather corals, and eat their way into it, thereafter they literally eat it up from the inside - that would obviously be bad.

My advise at this point in time is to just closely observe it for a day or two, and to take photos if possible - then we can discuss this further.

Hennie

4. Jinx

Jinx Thread Starter

O.k thanks Hennie this is the best picture I managed to take.Hope this will help[​IMG]

5. Reef Maniac

Ok... those are definitely not retracted polyps!

There are both a boring snail, and a type of nudibranch which attacks leather corals - going by the photo I would suspect the snail.

I would suggest that you take a sharp scalpel and cut a small "tube" out around one of those black spots. Make the cut deep enough to remove any object found inside the coral, and then examine it under a strong magnifying glass and see if you can identify any predatory critter.

If it is a snail or nudi, it would be safest to remove the infected coral to a Q-tank, and treat it there. My guess is that you would either have to cut out every predator, or just frag the good parts of the coral around the black areas (although that would be pretty drastic.

Hopefully others would comment on this as well - always good to get a second opinion :whistling:

Hennie

6. Jinx

Jinx Thread Starter

Thank you Hennie,I just hope this problem wont spread to my other corals!I'll try and cut one of these things out to examine it.I just hope that I'll learn something by examining it.

7. Reef Maniac

Soooo, Jinx, what happened to this coral - care to give us some feedback :whistling:

Hennie

Recent Posts