Coral SPAWNING! What do I do!?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Dane, 28 Dec 2010.

1. Dane

Dane

Hey all!

My little brown star polyp has spawned!! (well, I'm not sure spawning is the right term.) It has ejected hundreds of little orange egg clusters and they are now sticking to the coral within a transparent mucus! I have checked online - they are almost certainly not the eggs of any other species. I will post pics later.

The question is... What do I do!?

Let them do their thang? But I don't really want dozens of little brown polyp colonies popping up! Siphon them out and let them hatch in another tank? Drop them in the fuge?

Thanks,
    D

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You could put the rock in your sump with perhaps some other bits of base rock or whatever and when the polyps have hatched (not the right word, but anyway :p) and grown or spread you can sell them?

Very cool event going on in your tank though, take loads of pics, not often we hear of this or get to see it. :)

Last edited: 28 Dec 2010
  4. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Thanks viper :) I'm really chuffed! Have already taken some pics and will upload later.
    From what I've read and been the planula from the eggs very rarely settle successfully, but will probably still put them in the fuge just in case. I don't have a skimmer on my system, just a little fuge and WC. So maybe that will make the difference in these guys making it to adulthood!

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

:drool5: pictures

6. robvdv

robvdv

Nice achievement, Dane :)

7. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Will add them soon trem ;)

So just to add before I forget. This spawning occurred just after I had returned from being away for three months. The tank wasnt in a fantastic state. I had to pull out quite a lot of runaway caulerpa and suck out a little cyano. I think the most significant change was a shift in lighting schedule - with the lights staying on a few hours longer in the evening. I also left the actinics on late the evening before I started to see the first trace of spawning...

8. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Thanks very much Rob :) Hardly my achievment tho - I havent even been around for three months! The tank was looking a bit abandoned. I have aptasia coming out of every bloody crevice and my pulsing xenia has quadrupled in size! :( mleh.

9. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Pics as promised. Note that this is technically day 2 of the spawn. There were just a few eggs on it yesterday which I vacummed when I was dealing with the cyano.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. seank

seank

That almost looks like fisheggs

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@Dane this is wonderful. What do you think sparked the event? Was it a water change or other action responsible?

IMO most spawnings of corals and inverts in aqueria are when conditions are not ideal for the spawned. It is a last effort for survival of the species. I am not saying that the tank is not well looked after but that the polyps are not happy, or are chemically fighting with the Xenia. or... or....

It would be an interesting exercise to measure the DO during this time as i suspect it may be on the low side.

very cool and keep us updated.

12. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

It is quite possible that the spawn was triggered by sub optimal conditions. If you read the thread you'll see that I've been away for 3 months so the tank isn't looking its best - although it did have someone fairly reliable looking after it. However, apart from an aptasia resurgence most of my corals are looking better than ever - so I suspect a sudden change in lighting duration/timing (change times when I got back) and possible leaving my actinics on very late the night before the spawn may have triggered it. Sorry I cant take any detailed tank measurements.

Will keep posted. Right now the only change is the mucus is starting to drift upwards, with a long strand of eggs.

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Very interesting. Is it forming into a sort of hydroid?

14. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

This really is amazing! I agree that in aquaria sexual reproduction is usually a stress response, but in nature it does occur when conditions are favourable. The fact that all you other corals are doing well, and those polyps can probably live in the toilet, does not support the stress theory. Perhaps the conditions in you tank are perfect??
    Do i smell the subject of your PhD, . .

15. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Hey nemos - no I wouldnt call it a hydroid. still just a few eggs in a sticky transparent smush.

Dave! You crack me up bud ;-) I agree the tank doesnt seem to be terribly stressed at the moment. And those polyps would probably thrive in the toilet - not just survive ;-) Perhaps the recent nutrient rich waters have given them the extra oomph to do some babymakin!

And no. No PhD. Not for at least 10 years! My masters has already taken years off my lifespan. ;-)

16. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

WOW see I told you a frag monster. Kewl Dane wow this is very interesting keep a record of this with plenty pics & clips & post it up. Who knows you may just get a bursary for that phd or even get asked to write an article in a hobbiest magazine. LOL now you have more than enough frags hey!!!;) kidding.

17. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Hahaha. you okes crack me up :) I siphoned all the eggs into a filter bag in my sump for now... Quite keen to transfer them to my old mantis tank tho... Not sure if they'll make the transfer :p

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

What if you keep them in a container with the tank water & without the eggs getting into contact with air & transfer into the old mantis tank! just a thought

Recent Posts