Coral purchase

Reaction score
hey guys looking at getting a new addition to the tank this weekend just wanted to get an idea of what you think is a starter coral that is fairly easy to look after my lighting is as follows 1 t5 blue and 1 white and 2 150w metal halide 10000k globes

candy cane starpolyps

thanks for the advice Ocean i have some starpolyps in the tank already so i will look at a candy cane

touch coral

They like medium flow (not direct blasting) and half way up your tank (with halides, further down would be ok)

they dont need that much light
i know cany cane cane live on a torch placement is bottom to middle
and please not to much water flow for them

thanks guys i will post pics on monday if i get one today wanted a moti but heard they are hard to keep

to my understanding thay are not THAT hard to keep but hard to grow and show there colors
but yes they are not for bigginers

A plating monti is fairly easy to keep in my experience, as long as your parameters are in check like alkalinity and calcium, the plating monti's are really cool. Colour is a bit of a problem if your nutrients are a bit high. If you can get a purple or red or green monti then their colour seems to stay, just not as vibrant as in a 'sps tank'.

Don't be scared to try one.

A plating monti is fairly easy to keep in my experience, as long as your parameters are in check like alkalinity and calcium, the plating monti's are really cool. Colour is a bit of a problem if your nutrients are a bit high. If you can get a purple or red or green monti then their colour seems to stay, just not as vibrant as in a 'sps tank'.

Don't be scared to try one.

:thumbup:
All the way with Viper on this 1.
They also grow fast!

puppy i got my sps this week end the NON hardy one sorry:( but i had to

agree with Viper, plating montis are are very hardy even most encrusting montis

Puppy you sound like you been down that road :lol:

Yip, that is one well travelled road, one best avoided, whilst we all want a tank looking like Surgeon's Puppy's, sunburst's etc we need to remember just how much work has gone into that system before it looked like that, going for pretty colours without knowing what you buy, is a bit like asking for "Nemo and Dory":)

But i'm pretty sure we have all done it, i know i have, i once purchased a Carribean blue tang, believing it to be another (much smaller) tang, i found out after posting a pic on a forum....oops:blushing:

** they grow to in excess of 12 inches, fairly quickly, a beauty but far too big for most tanks

ok so i held of on buying a new piece for my tank did not see any thing i liked saw a brown monti dont know if it is supposed to be that colour going to wait for the weekend and see if i find anything. my better half saw a clam and now thats all she wants to put in the tank

Back
Top Bottom