Coral Pro Salt.

Are you aerating the newly mix saltwater?

This is important because the coral pro salt contains buffers as opposed to just raising the concentrations of alk, calcium and magnesium etc .

buffers need good mixing and a good amount of air to be properly activated. Adding the newly mixed salt H2O without giving the buffers time to activate can cause tiny fluctuations in Ph etc causing a teeny tiny bit of die off of bacteria, raising nitrate and phosphate a tiny little bit enough to start a tiny bit of cyano.

I always thought carbonate and bicarbonate were buffers!?

I always thought carbonate and bicarbonate were buffers!?

Thats what i meant :p opposed to straight calcium bound as Ca2 or Ph 'adjusters' which some poor quality salt mixes have

Last edited:
Thats what i meant :p opposed to straight calcium bound as Ca2 or Ph 'adjusters' which some poor quality salt mixes have

Oh ok. Ps while trying to find out about more buffers i came across some interesting info. That if you are dosing kh and it is not lifting ph you can add hydroxide to tank to convert more of bicarbonate into carbonate which will push ph up a bit and more stable. So u made me find out something really interesting! Thanks haha

Back
Top Bottom