Coral presentation for divers

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by deadmeat2016, 2 Mar 2013.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hi all
    reposting this so it comes up on the main thread page

Just need some more ideas.........

I was asked to ge ta presentation ready for the divers of Alpha dive center, Strand, telling them what corals are and showing them some common corals and explaining how corals can be kept in an aquarium.

It starts with Cnidaria and describing the ANIMALS which coral are, and why they are important for reef animals....food and what corals themselves eat

.....shelter......biodiversity....symbiosis...then onto soft, lps and sps with pics of common corals and then showing them some pics of home reefs, would appreciate some pics of amazing looking tanks of some members, showing that it is a fishtank and not in the wild, if u know what i mean......

I have as long as I want but don't wanna bore people.

And lastly I define them as Carnivores, this is true right? Cnidaria as a group are carnivores, even though some rely on photosynthesis, it is the zooxanthalle who are photosynthetic supplying the coral, the coral themselves are carnivorous right? not autotrophs or chemoautotrophs

oh and some fun facts like 'coral's lifespan is indefinite' and 'where does nemo get his name?'

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Brian Ring from Reef Teach does a very nice presentation called "Sex on the Reef" it explains to divers the different ways fish breed. This enlightens divers to look out for the different groups. For example, when they see a clown fish in an anemone they are now not only looking at a clown fish, they now look to find out which one is the female and which one the dominant male. What competition is taking place in the community and what predictors are lurking to feed on the fry.

4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

thanks janitor, will include the clownfish and anemone symbiosis, do u know where Nemo gets his name? :p i do know but jus asking

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I presume Nemos parents gave it to him. :p

I suggest you include all the different types of relationships. Anthias, Anglefish, triggers, tangs, sharks, rays, dolphins etc.

6. deadmeat2016

Hehehehe Nemo, lives in an anemone......aNEMOne

And i hav to keep the presentation to the point, being mostly about coral

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

include what other critters you can find within the coral. So that the divers would try to find them. So the divers would not only see a lot of corals in front of them, but would come closer searching for the hidden critters.

Fits in with what Nemo Janitor said about the clowns in an anemone.

And please tell them not to touch the corals.

8. deadmeat2016

amen to that, I think im gonna include a couple of slides on what people do to coral reefs, such as overfishing and pollution

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Rather keep the talk simple and stick to one topic, trying to include everything will leave everyone knowing a little about everything and nothing about one thing. Like Brians talk on fish reproduction, focused on that and nothing else, very informative and made people rethink what they knew.

10. pkc

pkc

If you mean the actual name nemo,that was taken from the characters name captain nemo of the nautilus. You know the old movie from the 60s!
    Or if you mean the first if its Latin name as in amphiprion, that means it is a form of damselfish. They evolved the symbiotic means by being born with a generic mucus that enables them to go into, with in reason to most anemones until they have consumed the hosts exact mucus and mimic it and manufacture their own exact copy through their pores and from then on the host anemone has no idea it is there. Some wrasse, some humbugs and damsels and blue surgeons have the same capacity from birth, just some loose it, as they grow older.

Why don’t you include what actually harms the coral reefs and is killing them, our over population!

This is the knowledgably ones starting to catch on that its all going to die!
    http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20132502-24085.html

It’s a shame but inevitable and its been showing for over 30 years that many of us old school divers combined collectors and hobbyists have seen it increase over that length of time.
    All reefs with in a reasonably short distance from the equator are doomed, wether it be completely or to some degree.
    From our over population there is no hope, because there is no end in sight of this slowing down at all.
    They will eventually need to start looking at what we have seen coming for a long tine,the correlation between global warming, and then earths diminishing oxygen levels, the oceans tropical waters subsequent increasing acidity and the decreasing percentage of phytoplankton.
    Acidity from co2 absorption into the seawaters inhibits the very function that this article is about and algae based life do far more to keep the oceans functioning properly beyond just conditioning our atmosphere by 60 percent at one time.
    At the start of the 1900s they believe the ocean was still assisting with up to 60 percent of earths produced co2, this was achieved from importing by algae species (Phytoplankton), and as a bi product of their photosynthesis, these invaluable creatures at one time, gave us the same amount of our oxygen needs. Their ancestors gave earth its first oxygen and allowed complex life forms to develop, so we owe them our existence and we are killing them!
    Land vegetation losses by us and this oceans algae variations loosing ground to higher ocean temps caused by us, have taken 30 percent of earths oxygen in the last 100 years, does any one really think that’s all that is coming from that.
    Its interesting to see the reports as the oceans corals go down, this is why we try so fruitlessly to protect them in ways that have no affect at all!
    They are called marine parks or translated-a place to make the public think that we the government actually know anything or even give a toss.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2013
Recent Posts