Coral , Lowest temps

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

What are the lowest temperatures that most Corals will tolerate. Up until now i have only had fish. Planning to get into Corals soon.

Murphy's law , our power went out at 1am yesterday and is still not back. This got me thinking about the lowest temps corals and marine fish can handle. And circulation issues during power outages.

Seems i will have to spend Coral money on a battery back up system of some sort for now.

Corals can tolerate low temperatures but not for a very long time. You can ship corals on a overnight courier packed in a styrofoam cooler and they will be ok. Just don’t shock them by adding them from cold to hot.

Fish on the other side is a lot more sensitive to lower temps. So is invertebrates and anemones.

I would suggest you get some sort of backup. Your temp will take a while to drop to dangerous levels depending on the size of your tank. You do however need to add oxygen to the tank. You can use a battery operated air pump. This will also stabilize your ph and you won’t get a massive ph swing. If you can afford an inverted. Get one. It’s super awesome and gives you peace of mind, all you need to run is a power head and if you can your return pumps. No lights,no heaters as this will drain your battery almost instantly.

Agree, most corals can handle low temps without problems, most fish start struggling if temp drops below 23C consistently for a few days, but most can handle slightly lower temps short term.

Rather not plan on lowest temp. As mentioned rather look at a backup system. I have lost nearly everything because of no backup system and I am still strugling to get things back on track. We need to think backup before we buy anything else in SA.

Back
Top Bottom