Coral ID?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I've got no idea what that is. Is it a soft coral or does it have a hard skeleton?

PeterAmos

Who's your Daddy?
Reaction score
Hard to tell, soft to touch but feelslike it has a hard skeleton. I havent realy prodded around to see. Looks a little like grapes. Mmmm just had another look, seems more like a softy, although without taking it out I cant be sure.

Last edited:

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
To me it kind of resembles a cauliflower colt coral without the polyps extended, but that very large base is not familiar. Any chance you could move the rock closer to the glass and get some close ups, especially of the extended polyps.

PeterAmos

Who's your Daddy?
Reaction score
Cool, it has me curios as well. It came with a whole tank setup that I couldn’t pass up, and I’ve taken the corals, live rock and fish but getting rid of the rest. Sorry for the story but I haven’t come across this myself. I will take a few more photos tonight and move it around a bit. It’s quite pretty, kind of purple and blue. I'll post them tomorrow.

PeterAmos

Who's your Daddy?
Reaction score
So heres a couple more picks. Definatly looks like a softy as the whole thing can wobble in the current. o_O
There are two pieces you can see, the rock is covered in coralline which is the same colour as the coral.
Also there is a mushroom looking thing slowly growing umoungst my green star polops, odd, not that attractive but its there. See the last photo.

Anyway its kinda intresting, everything is just growing LOL:001_cool:

Last edited:

RiaanP

Reaction score
yip, first one is a blushing coral. The [polyps is brown and retract rather quickly all over if you touch it. Base is white. So it turns from brown to white within seconds.