Coral Id please:)

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by crispin, 29 Sep 2008.

1. crispin

crispin

hello all:)
    Could you help me with a name of this corral? I did write the name the LFS gave me, but i dont trust them and I lost the piece of paper:(

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Crispin - this definitely looks like some type of pagoda coral...... but perhaps if someone can chip in and either confirm or disprove this, I would appreciate it!

4. mantisfreak

mantisfreak

Yep, it's a Turbinaria sp. (Pagoda)

5. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

hehe turbinaria:) thats what i wrote on the paper:) thanks mantis

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Here some info for you dude:

The Turbinaria Corals are large polyp stony (LPS) corals. Depending upon the species, they are referred to as a Cup, Pagoda, Turban, Vase, or Scroll Corals. The genus name, Turbinaria, is derived from the Greek word turbinatus (cone-shaped) because it usually grows in a conical or cup shape while living on the reef. It may also be found in the form of cups, ruffled ridges, plates, vases, or scrolls. It may grow horizontally or vertically. The Turbinaria Corals may be bright yellow, green, brown, gray, or cream. A number of species may extend their polyps during the day or night while in an aquarium. Turbinaria sp. vary in the amount of care they require. Those that are highly convoluted or thin plates are the most difficult to care for. Others, like this one, make excellent candidates for the novice reef aquarist. It is a peaceful reef inhabitant and does not bother other corals that are placed in close proximity to it. However, it should still be provided with ample space away from other corals because it does grow quickly. It will require moderate lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium. For its continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.

Source: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+322+521&pcatid=521&N=0

7. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

many many thanks mate:)

i'd looked him up last night so had an idea:) but nice write up there and appreciated:)

Recent Posts