Coral ID Please

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Nixxon, 18 May 2010.

1. Nixxon

Nixxon

Hi All,

I just got this Coral a couple of days ago and nobody has a clue what it is... can anyone please help with the following:

- Feeding
    - Lighting
    - Water Flow
    - Placement

[​IMG]

Thanks Guys and Girls, Much appreciated!

Regards,

Nixxon

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. robertkukla

robertkukla

i have searched for this on the internet and i cant find anything sorry:(

4. Dane

Dane

Very interesting! Is it a NPS? Like the chilli coral? That's the only thing i've seen close to it...

5. sihaya

sihaya

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

7. sihaya

sihaya

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

seen these before, they need to be fed with a phytoplankton solution every day by placing coke bottle cone over and squirting solution into bottle and closing so that coral has phytoplankton suspension surrounding it for at least fifteen to twenty mins (doesnt haveto be heaps but it needs to feed daily or it will die

9. sihaya

sihaya

Even when fed daily, they usually don't last more than a year... unfortunately.

10. christiaan

christiaan

They should be left in the ocean. Research before you buy next time, buy buying it you're telling the shop owner to order another and when he does the supllier takes a couple more from a reef somewhere just to go die in some tank somewhere

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

ps remember to feed just before lights out and you will be fine.

guys stop the uitk+k parade on this guy if you have not had success in keeping one rather say' i have heard it is a hard coral to keep and i dont know enough about it to give you any advice'

not ,its gonna die! you are a fool for buying it..

12. Nixxon

Nixxon Thread Starter

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback... the input is greatly appreciated!
    @sihaya - thanks for the ID... the info and links are helpful!
    @mandarinman - Thanks for the tip... will definitely put that into practice!!
    @christiaan - I do agree with what you are saying and firmly believe that as apart of this hobby knowledge is EXTREMELY important... this coral was however an impromptu buy while I was in the shop getting consumables. It looked awesome and I felt it would be a nice edition to my tank. I am all for conserving our natural beauties hence the request for information and guidance ;)

Thanks again All!

13. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Jip, that is a carnation coral (dendronepthya) and I am sorry to say, one that is most likely dead already... :( Has it "expanded" at all since you got it?

The reason I say it is actually dead probably, is that you can see the calcium spinicules sticking out the tissue... These calcium spinicules are there to help support the coral body when extended in high flow, and keep it upright...

This, IMO, is the most difficult coral to keep. I had one in a dedicated NPS tank, and it did not survive, even though I fed twice a day...

On your questions thouh:

- Feeding - microscopic foods like phyto, zooplankton, mushed fish etc...
    - Lighting - of no importance, it is a NPS coral
    - Water Flow - Strong, preferably variant linear flow
    - Placement - anywhere where it can expand, and have good flow.

As mentioned above, these corals should be left where they belong (the ocean)... Even Commercial Aquariums like The Long Beach Aquarium in the US that has dedicated systems for them struggle to keep them alive for more than a few months. We just are'nt advanced enough for them yet...

Sorry for letting you have this bad news mate...

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

you have style! this is the way something should be answered!

15. Boegie

Boegie

Now I also know not to buy this one.

16. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

The main problem with these dying in your tank, is they disintegrate, and expells HUGE amounts of Calcium, like a Calcium nuclear missile... I had to do huge water changes just to get my calcium levels back to "normal"...

17. christiaan

christiaan

I agree Mandarinman its not nice but it's needed sometimes. I only do it because someone did it to me - and believe me I lashed out at him and I was a real jerk - not like nixxon who's cool - but I learned much from it. I've seen these in a few lfs lately and its only because of these impulse buys they still come out of the ocean.

I'd take it back to the shop for a refund or exchange - tell them what you've learned and hold them responsible.

This is the ONLY way to make our hobby sustainable, responsible and ethical. Education

Agreed I could be more suttle but if I was'nt spoken to harshly I wouldn't have taken my nennie back to my lfs - they by the way only order nennies now if you ask them to order it because of this.

Sorry nixx if I lashed out - this is an hot issue in our hobby and hopefully you'll be able to help a newbie down the line - again thats the goal here - education.

What these forums have done for reefkeeping worldwide is amazing but we need to keep it up!!!:thumbup:

18. Nixxon

Nixxon Thread Starter

Again - Thanks guys for all the help and advise :)
    Perhaps not such a bad idea to take it back to the shop for a refund... I am not fond of the idea of having anything that is just going to die... aside from the obvious Calcium spikes :)

No worries Christiaan, I don't take it personally :) Happy to learn from others experiences and couldn't agree more! These forums are INVALUABLE!

19. christiaan

christiaan

Cool beans bra

And again it's up to you but really the LFS should know beter and if they don't - be nice and help them - I'm not saying go in there and let hell break loose - be polite and try to help them, you'd be surprised that they might just listen to you - if they don't maybe find a new shop!

Good luck and take your phone with you next time you shop, they all have internet nowadays - google the species you see in the tank and you'll know more than the lfs within 1 minute

20. sihaya

sihaya

Not that I at all disagree that aquarists and LFSs alike need to be informed. And I'll admit that I used to get livid that people still bought them and LFSs still sold them, even knowing that they wouldn't live. But honestly, when it comes to these corals, one could easily argue that collecting/selling/buying them is really not all that big a deal because they do grow pretty fast in the wild and the pieces taken are pretty small relative to the whole colonies.

This kind of thing still pisses me off when it comes to fish that don't live (and even slow growing stony corals that don't make it). But when it comes to soft corals that grow rapidly in the wild, I'm not sure it's such a terrible sin to treat them like cut flowers. And actually, considering what their sale does to the local economies of these countries and the motivation to preserve the reefs as an economic resource, maybe it's really not so bad at all.

Just my $0.02 for an alternative viewpoint.

21. christiaan

christiaan

Agreed on some corals there could be a flipside but still - If I buy a flower I know it'll die but I know it was grown for that purpose - when nixxon bought the coral he didn't know it would die and it wasn't grown in a tunnel like the rose. The coral might grow back just like tree might but it cutting it has decreased the habitat of whatever lives in and arount them. . .

That being said I agree that this might not be the perfect coral to proof my point with - still, you understand the point.

Recent Posts