Coral i.d. And care

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by DUPPIE, 24 Feb 2013.

1. DUPPIE

DUPPIE

Hi !

I hope i'm not wasting someone's time here. I made an impulse buy on Saturday (yes, yes i know how stupid it was !) The problem lies here, i had to have these and didn't take the time to research the care of these corals. As far as i can gather the one coral is a Dendrenophyta, which after reading up is almost impossible to keep alive (the pink one on the photo) The other i think might be a Trachyphillia (orange/cream on photo). The other colourfull one, i don't have a clue.
    Please can someone assist with the I.D. of these corals and give me some info on what to feed them, how much light, waterflow, and general care.

Thanks a lot !!

B.BERRY PICS FEB 2013 258.jpg

B.BERRY PICS FEB 2013 260.jpg

B.BERRY PICS FEB 2013 261.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Henkie

Henkie

The second pic is a brain coral if i am not mistaken.
    I feed mine every night, krill is what I feed. They extend their tentacles at night. Go and read about them on liveaquaria.

4. Ruberto Frazao

Ruberto Frazao Sponsor

I can tell u that the first coral (pink one) is a non photosynthetic coral.. Does not want direct light.. Put it on the side of your tank where there is less light.. Also feed it a mix of zooplankton and Phytoplankton.. Beautiful looking coral that..

5. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

I Agree with @Ruberto Frazao, that coral is normally seen hanging upside down from the roof of overhangs or caves. No lighting required and I suspect will be a tough task to keep alive without the right food.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. JS

JS

That brain is also damaged on the side....skeleton exposed....

Impulse buys are dumb and will end very expensive....

7. Mc

Mc

The first one is Dendronephthya like you said.
    One of the most difficult non-photosynthetic coral out there, it is a very voracious eater and needs to be fed a plantonic diet multiple times per day they like a strong flow rate and although the light will not benefit it, it will also do it no harm as they are sometime found in full sunlight in the wild.

8. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Thats a bit harsh but true.

and corals only eat zooplankton, not phyto, if im not mistaken

9. JS

JS

LOL, my comment not aim directly at DUPPIE, just towards "impulse buying" in general! ;)

10. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Phyto will be eaten & will see how the colours jump out when phyto is fed. I use to culture nanochoropsis & all the corals colours were vibrant @Perky pets superstore will agree with that as David use to feed live phyto & saw a big difference in the coral.

11. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I am not to keen on generalising... BUT as a genral rule of thumb, Soft corals feed on Phyto and hard corals feed on zooplankton.

A good read: http://www.coralscience.org/main/articles/nutrition-6/how-corals-feed

Some more i nteresting reading:

http://new.aslo.org/lo/toc/vol_40/issue_7/1290.pdf

Notwithstanding the above, as well as a deluge of studies on this matter, we cannot discount the effect of phytoplankton feeding. As @MistaOrange pointed out, increased colour and perceived "health" is often reported from hobbyists feeding phyto.
    Even though hobbyist observations are often nothing less than anecdotal, when we look at the science, we do sometimes found a conection....:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/eb/index.php:

http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/49/m049p231.pdf:

With the abundance of phytoplankton in tanks fed with phyto, vs non phyton fed tanks, I don't think its that far fetched to say that zooplankton levels will be elevated in phyto fed tanks?
    With zooplankton abundance, we are bound to see more colourfull corals across the board, whether octocorals (soft) or scleractinians (hard), simply due to less reliance on zooxanthellae for production of fatty and amino acids.....

Exactly how this relates to the thread at hand and to what degree it wil assist hobbyists from making impulse purchases..... not quite sure... but it was brough up.... and I had a few free minutes...:whistling::blush:

Rushing out and buying a bottle (or five) of phytoplankton might help to keep the one in the 1st pic alive.... most likely at the expence of increased nutrients...... which can be resolved.... Should the hobbyist be dedicated enough and have a system designed to do this....
    Nuber two and number three are relatively "easy" to keep....

seank likes this.
  12. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

13. DUPPIE

DUPPIE Thread Starter

Thanks for the articles irie ivan !! You seem to know what you are talking about. I won't be able to care for it you can have the Dendronephthta for free if you like (i've had it for a week)

14. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Its tempting, as it will be another test to put the cubes to. Unfortunately, I am not sure that I have the time and budget to look after it...... I will think about it... Kept them before with some success, but in a full blown sps ref its gonna be challengeing..
    Will let you know..

Recent Posts