coral help please!!

Reaction score
63954fa2b8245d685.jpg

63954fa2b824699e6.jpg

Hi to everyone, im new to this site, got a marine tank 1year running ...can someone tell me what kind of coral this is of the photos I uploaded. Ive been told its a pump xenia?? Please help with what food and supplements it takes and how do you see its fine after youve put it in your tank. Thanks

That's not Xenia, looks more like one of the leath corals.
Where did you get it and how did it look in that persons tank?

Nope that is not a pulsing xenia. that pic is not clear so i would hazard that it is a couple of smooth brown mushrooms.
If you are feeding fiah in your tank it will feed off the dissolved atuff in the water.

Could it be a Cabbage Leather Coral...?
p-84627-cabbage-2.jpg

It is found in a variety of colors, usually tan to brown with lighter striations. Its flat, lobed appearance resembles a cabbage leaf.
Cabbage Leather Corals contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae and receive the majority of their nutritional needs from the light driven process of photosynthesis. It will also be beneficial to supplement the diet with additional food such as micro-plankton, baby brine shrimp, or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates.
Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Aquariums: Cabbage Leather Corals

thanks to everyones reply, i got it from animal kingdom in pretoria. it was more open in their tank and a orange, pinkish colour?

Its definately a type of leather coral,and if you got it from that shop then yes it is a leather as I have bought one last week from their other branch,will try to post a pic of it

@yingyang, wheres their other branch? its just they had it as as xenia and thats bad from them to not know what corals you buy from them

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok , here's mine,I'm basically 99.9 % sure that its the same :)

63624fa2c4ee73488.jpg

@raynow their other branch is at hillfox,in the westrand,it was probably just an old sticker on the tank or something like that

It defenitely a leather of some sort. They take a week or so to really acclimatize in your tank. Give it time, they will open up soon!

Last edited:
@belindamotion almost something like that. it looked totaly different by them than it looks now. its closed and dark purple now. @yingyang i agree but still they should know

@belindamotion for some reason in the pic that you posted they kinda look a bit thinner as to mine and raynow but yes I agree that its basically a type of leather cabbage or something,the pic I posted was taken from my phone a few days ago so yeah the quality aint that good ,they do tend to get small little "pimples" on them and here and there have these little "spikes" sticking out (almost like what u would find on a tang or surgeonfish's tail)

AGree raynow,the staff should know the difference between a leather and a xenia...they are so different to each other

Last edited:
I don't go much to pretoria but I can honestly say that the guys at the other shop do know quite a bit as they have been working there for a long time..but yeah that's a type of leather,once settled it will colour out and extend a bit..

Yours does look like a cabbage as Belinda posted. Leathers do sulk for a while when placed in new tanks, hence it not looking exactly like pics.
I agree it is bad that a shop doesn't know the correct name of the coral they selling, but they are sometimes swamped with customers, new staff etc, so can misplace names. Best is to know exactly what coral you want before heading to the shop.

:)Yeah from what I noticed when something is out of stock or just got sold they sometimes forget to take the stickers off the tank,thus leavin clients to think that that's what the fish or coral is called,so yeah maybe just a mistake,my pics aren't that good from the phone but when I stand and look at it in my tank I'm definately not sorry that I got it,it really looks nice so enjoy it bud

Back
Top Bottom