Coral growth and temp relation?

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by viper357, 15 Aug 2014.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I've picked up mumblings around the internet about the temp of your tank having a direct effect on the growth rate and colouring of your corals. Apparently a temp of 28 gives you better growth and better colouration as opposed to a lower temp of say 25? Any idea why?

Has anybody experienced this? Does it only affect SPS or soft and LPS corals too?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

my guess is to do with food production from the zoozanthallae, increased glucose production, more food for corals etc, the only issue is that O2 will be less and impact fish life

4. dallasg

5. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Yeah, that I am aware of, but with a low fish load then it should be safe to increase your temp, yes? Or will the overall lower O2 in the water still affect the one or two fish in the tank?

Interesting.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2014
  6. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Do you think it affects LPS and soft corals as well? What about things like Clams?

7. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

I was thinking about this the other day.
    In winter my temp stayed around 24.5.

Past few days tank temp is now 26 and noticing a difference alread.

Tagging this thread.

8. dallasg

when i had my garage tanks running, i sometimes hit 31deg and no ill affects at all, growth was good on lps and sps, but n way anything scientific i can prove

9. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Well in West Papua the water is a constant 29-31 all year round, and that's dead center in the Coral Triangle. Didn't see a bleached coral on 25 dives and researchers say the growth rates there are really high. It's logical that this is the ideal temperature for most species.

10. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

How does this affect fishies?

11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

High temps lower oxygen levels. I seriously doubt this is a problem for anyone with a sump and a protein skimmer though. Those provide massive oxygenation.

12. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

So could i assume its save going from 25 to 27 having a sump and skimmer

13. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Yeah, my summer temps are around 28-29 whether I like it or not. Livestock doesn't mind.

14. dallasg

high temps are ok if the change is not sudden, mine sits at 27 in summer and no issues

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Biggest issue with higher temps is that piece of paper you receive once a month to pay. Will result in higher electricity, especially during the winter. Guys with cool down issues and running chillers can smile a bit.

Other problem is a power outage with low oxygen. You need to get your geni started sooner and get the skimmer and return pump running. Window to do that will be less than with temps at 25. Overstocking will not help either.

16. cuenm

cuenm

i think this is a more complicated thing than just increasing your temperature. their are a number of clades of Symbiodinium sp (the genera in which zooxanthellae fall), often their will be more than one species and even more than one genera of zooxanthellae inhabiting a given coral. a paper by Berkelmens and Van Oppen (2006) showed how a range of temperatures would alter the composition of these zooxanthellae so that on a section of reef where temperatures were slightly higher (due to lower current velocity or shallower water) there would be a greater density of a particular genus. Now another finding made was that, Symbiodinium type D, which happened to be the most thermally resistant and could tolerate the higher average temperature, resulted in slower growth and that the most optimal growth occured when there was a greater variation of zooxanthellae (for instance in corals that contained Type b,c, and d)..
    Now my understanding (no scientific evidence) would be that if we were to increase our water temp, and we dont have a diversity of zooxanthellae in our tanks (as our confined systems would tend to become more monospecific with regards to the conditions being more optimal for one species) we would run the risk of bleaching them.

17. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Possible, though keep in mind that the majority of our corals come from Indonesia, where the temperatures are mostly 28-30, even in deeper water. Kenya and Vietnam are on the lower end, though they just really export LPS and softies which hardly ever bleach (unless light-deprived).

18. Vetrix

Vetrix

Tagging this, it's gold!

19. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Taking this in consideration.

What would be the optimal temps. Mine is at 25ish.

20. cuenm

cuenm

true. thats why i say though that it would be likely that over a period of time we would have corals harbouring a monospecific zooxanthellae, as the stable conditions (more or less) would favour one species over another. I feel (just my opinion) that this may be a likely event as on the reef there is great heterogeneity and lets say a coral stand in a crevice or below an overhang would have a unique ensamblage of zoox' which may be different to those at the apex of the reef for example. then on the reef we have zoox' not only within the coral tissues but also at low levels living in the water (exceedingly low levels from what i have read). we now these zoox' live freely in the water as do many other dinoflageletes as it is these that the corals reclaim after a bleaching event.
    i am sure that pushing your water temp to lets say 30 will not cause bleaching, however, bleaching is an additive response. warm temps plus turbidity/nutrients/change in light may result in bleaching.
    i think it would make for some interesting experiments and i havent seen much about this in the literature.

21. Meg G

Meg G

metabolism off the coral goes up with temp just like any other animal. so it gives the zooxanthellea more carbon which they can use in redfield ratio. so it gives the coral more lipids and aminos. just look at your kh. for every 20ppm ca used 1mg/l of kh is use. best growth rate of acropora formosa was at 32 almost 30mm a month. also phosphate at .1ppm and nitrate at 2ppm ca 465, kh 12, mg 1400

Last edited: 15 Aug 2014
Recent Posts