Coral collection in Durban

Reaction score
Hi all

Getting my molusc & marine fish collection permit tomorrow and hoping to be in Durban soon .

Want to plan a trip too collect some coral but dont know Durban and I am hoping too find someone who can go out with me just to be on the safe side as i would not know where is safe or not . Hopefully i can find someone to show me the best places too collect some nice coral specimens and maybe some fish aswel .

Hope too hear from a Durban local soon , i can uber too meet up or can pay for petrol if anyone is willing too drive and show me around , would really be much appreciated.

Reaction score
You can collect zoas, but no stony corals may be removed if I recall correctly. But the zoas melt away over a few months.

Reaction score
I am just awaiting a response from our marine ecology department and i amv going to aplly for for "TOPS" permit , will allow me too collect certain stone corals and other normally prohibited species

459b

Reaction score
Collection under that permit is, and should only be for research purposes.
Collection of those species are prohibited for a reason, and if you can even ask for that permit, you should know better

Reaction score
Not just for collection purposes bud , trying to work with our services in terms of conservation and drawing up a plan for coral farming for re planting any fragged and grown specimens . Its difficult to get it right here but the long term plan is to work with a marine biologist in creating a local species only tanks for fragging in a way that insures no outside or foreign disease can enter the system in order to return what has been taken . Aswel as onsight fragging and planting .

Its a ambitious plan that hopefully i can get going soon

Reaction score
Anyone avail today , will glady give petrol money to show me around and take me to the spots for collection n

459b

Reaction score
Well is your tank set up to house only local species?
Shouldnt you have the paperwork, systems set up, and long term plans set up with the relevant bodies BEFORE collecting the corals?

Reaction score
Well is your tank set up to house only local species?
Shouldnt you have the paperwork, systems set up, and long term plans set up with the relevant bodies BEFORE collecting the corals?
Yes but today was not about that , was about collecting coral for my tank

459b

Reaction score
Basically poaching and nothing to do with coral preservation.
I'm interested to hear who you approached about getting the permit and if they agreed to it

Reaction score
What i was going too do yday and today has nothing too do with the conservation of anything ... it was just me collecting coral for my tank and when collecting with a permit and legally ... its not called poaching .

Wikipedia definition.

459b

Reaction score
Collecting for a reason that is not stated on the permit does fit the criteria of poaching.
Permit is for research purposes for institutions, not for a hobbiests personal use.
Shocking that you'd even try and defend it behind an excuse of restocking the oceans.

Reaction score
Was on a normal permit ... from the post office , bud you have half a story and you are already on your high horse, dont even know why im explaining myseld to you and seeing as though you are a "moderator" , you should know better to say things without having full story. Was NOT on a TOPS permit used in this case and had nothing to do with conservation and any permits thereof

459b

Reaction score
Go back and read your posts about collecting hard coral, especially post four and six.
My comments have nothing to do with me being a "moderator", it's the fact that you want to use a research permit for personal use. Youd be surprised who reads these forums and commemts like yours do not give the industry a good name.

Reaction score
Thinks things got mixed thats all , all seperate permits , I used a recreational permit

Reaction score
Maybe you should go back to the beginning of this thread to see how you handled the comments and then question why you got these appropriate responses.
Someone with a bona fide cause wouldn't post this crap reasoning.

Top Bottom