Coral Chips

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ighsaan, 23 Jul 2010.

1. ighsaan

ighsaan

Hi All
    My name is Ighsaan I just one to now were I can by some corral chips for a good price I had a marine tank and I am starting over and going bigger.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

hi and welcome to MASA:)
    are you going to be using coral chips as substrate?

4. ighsaan

ighsaan Thread Starter

Yes i am!

5. ighsaan

ighsaan Thread Starter

Do’s someone now about the Organic Aqua company and their products?

6. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

yes, money best spent on something else.

7. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Organic aqua is amazing, if you have it and keep dosing it which gets very expensive! :nono: good i guess for when starting out in the hobby as you don't have to worry so much about nitrate and ammonia spikes. But in the long term, DSB+macro algae+good skimmer is always the preferred method nowadays

8. crispin

crispin

i couldnt agree more :)

9. Dane

Dane

I strongly advise against using coral chips as a substrate.... They just act as a detritus trap!

10. Tim S

Tim S

I have coral chips in my sump in the final compartmentwhere the return pump sucks from. It's a layer of about 100mm thick suspended off the bottom on a sheet of grating. The idea behind this is that diffirent 'types' of bacteria grow / reside in diffirent dencities of substrate. No detritus can collect there so even if it does not work, it should be harmless.

Good idea or bad?

11. Dane

Dane

If its in the return and theres no chance of detritus clogging it up I dont see why it would be a bad idea. Just like live rock I guess. But at 10cm thick, detritus can still get trapped their, even if it is suspended above the bottom.

12. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Ive used coral chips in my nano tank, but i sifted them into 2-3 mm chip size.
    Now its the same consistancy as Argonite, it will do absolutly nothing to benifit the tank, but untull i can afford aragonite it looks great.

but if you can stretch the budget , try get even a thin layer for now untill you can afford the rest.

Good luck though.

13. Dane

Dane

I don't think aragonite really does much for the tank either personally. :p

14. Manic

Manic Moderator

It actually does. The whiter the sand the more reflection of light you get for the underside of corals.

15. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hi Dane , the main advantige whould come in if the arraganite was deep enough for the carbon dioxide to build up at the bottom of the arragonite and desolve the calcium.. Bla, Bla Bla

But i dont believe in larger coral chips than 4mm as it does collect detritis.

but for my system the fine coral is "fine" , i think its again a bit of a stature thing to say " using arraganite " ( but i still want it ! )

This was my tank 2 months back, much greener now with about 8 kgs LR, will take pics of it in a few days and post my Nanno.

16. Dane

Dane

Thats interesting oldpe! I wasn't aware CO2 was generated at depth in a substrate...
    I thought the only benefit of aragonite was as a buffer if your ph got out of whack, and from what I've read that benefit is only very marginal... What is the process that leads to CO2 buildup? Respiration of microfauna?

17. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi Dane, im sure i will be corrected, but this is how i see it.

A deep enough Arragonite bed acts exactly the same way as a DSB as a denitrater, and in saying that its the anerabic bacteria that feed of of Carbon dioxide and nitrate that make it so functinal.

Respiration of microfauna could have allot to do with the removal of oxygen and deep in the substrate there is no flow it replace the oxygen used up.

So, as the co2 builds up, the p.h drops and once it gets to about 7.8 the " acidic " water reacts with the purest form of soluble calcium (aragonite ) to buffer the p.h and release magnesium.( its like a natural calcium reactor )
    i know 7.8 is not acidic, but its enough to react with a pure arraganite granual.

P.s
    Araganite is also used as a calcium suplement in some medicines for humans, because it desolves at such a high p.h.

So yes for a normal gravle layer it cant do much untill the tanks water has dropped to 7.8 and lower , but by that time you have serius problems.

18. Dane

Dane

I see where you heading with your logic. tho just btw anaerobic bacteria do not use carbon dioxide in place of oxygen.. I agree that a dsb of aragonite would behave in the same way as any other dsb.

Metabolisis in both anaerobic and aerobic bacteria can produce C02, so that could be a source for CO2. So, hypothetically, deep in an aragonite sand bed, you may have an area with a lower ph, but as soon as this dissolved solute was exposed to the rest of the tank it would reprecipitate out...

I've read over and over again that aragonite is not functional as a buffer. By the time your tank gets as low as around 7.3 shit has hit the fan so to speak!

ps - looking forward to seeing your nano! I am a small reef nut! :)

Last edited: 29 Aug 2010
Recent Posts