Urgent help needed Coral Beauty attacking New Yellow Tang

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by ChrisRaubs, 22 May 2013.

1. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hi there everyone,,,,

So I got my Yellow Tang today,,, was super excited, did the three hour acclimating process, and then added it to my tank...

To my absolute horror, my coral beauty completely did not like the new oukie in the tank and started attacking the yellow tang.... 5 minutes was enough, and I couldn't take it any more... Luckily I managed to catch the yellow tang with no difficulty at all. I build a compartment out of egg crate to separate the tang from the coral beauty...

A little more info which might help....

Tank dimension is 70*70*60
    Water volume total is 300 liters
    Stock list prior to yellow tang introduction is a pair of Picasso clown fish, and a coral beauty.
    Coral beauty is apparently about a year old... Approx size 8 cm
    Yellow tang has just gone past the juvenile stage, approx size 4-5cm

The coral beauty have only been in the tank for less than one month... It showed no interest towards the clowns, however it was added to the tank after the clowns...

The aqua scape has PLENTY of hiding spots....

Is there anything I can do to help the coral beauty accept the yellow Tang?

I've read on the www that;

1) switching the lights off for about three days,
    2) placing a mirror close to the dominant fish's primary place of residence,

Might help...

Are there any Merit in these methods? Perhaps something else, or additional to this I can try?

Or, is there no hope in store for me and should I return the yellow tang?

Any and all advice will truly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: 22 May 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

My Purple Tang normally doesn't like any new fish, but after 2 days the fights are over and done with and they all are happy..

Maybe try to introduce the yellow tang after lights out and see what happens in the morning.

4. JS

JS

Ive heard the mirror thing mights work....maybe try it. However, I have seen fish fight like that and all the tricks in the book did not work, and eventually one dies, or all stress and catch something and die.

Maybe leave the yellow in the seperate compartment and see if they get use to one another...

5. zak

zak

I was in the same situation 2 weeks ago, added a yellow tang to my system that has a coral beauty. The coral beauty was slightly aggressive, but the yellow tang held its ground. Everythings fine now. The yellow tang just needs a chance to settle in, perhaps consider rescaping a bit, or at worse removing the coral beauty to allow the yellow tang a chance to settle..

6. Strandlooper

Strandlooper

I also had a coral beauty that was really aggressive to any new comer, I used the mirror technique for several days to allow the new gosh time to beetle in it really worked.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

else sump the coral beauty for 2 days

8. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs Thread Starter

Thank you very much for all of the advice so far guys!

Did your coral beauty also ferociously attack the tang? My poor fella now looks like he got "gelled" hair... I think I'm gonna call him spikey now...

His top and bottom fins have been spilt....

Great,,, I think I'm buying a small mirror tomorrow...

I was hoping I don't have to resort to this measure,,, ill literally have to take out all the rock work to get this guy caught...

But alas if all else fails I might resort to this measure...

Ok, seeing that the tang is already stressed due to being harassed, do you guys think its better to leave him in the separate compartment for a few days, lets say until I'm confident he's eating we'll enough then do the intro? Or do I retry right away?

Do I put the mirror into the tank while the tang is still in the compartment, or do I only put the mirror in when I introduce the tang?

Once again tank you very much for all the advice so far... Any more bags of tricks is welcome...

9. 4age

4age

let tang recover seperately, then add at night, stick mirror with reflective side facing into tank with tape, add tang and check on them early the next morning..reflection should keep coral beauty busy..use as big a mirror as possible...used mirror technique succesfully to intro 6 different types of angels to my tank

10. ChrisRaubs

Cool,,, ill give it a shot. Do I tape the mirror to the outside or inside of the tank?

What is the average time it takes for the tangs fins to recover? A few weeks or months?

Tanks guys!

Last edited: 23 May 2013
  11. zak

zak

I can't say that the attack was ferocious, not at all. I'm amazed at how quickly my yellow tang recovers from split fins, almost overnight! I don't think you'll be able to call him spikey for long..

12. zak

zak

I guess it would also depend how well the fish is eating, and the immune system. My YT is feeding on Marine Grazer and Ocean nutrition Brine flakes. Recovers from a split fin in less than 2 days..

13. ChrisRaubs

That's great news!:)

14. ChrisRaubs

Quarantine?

Ok, so I've got a very small sized tank that I could use to quarantine this guy in. I've also got a HOB skimmer that I could use to at least try manage water quality with...

This is the compartment that I've got him in now...

It's 30 by 30 by 25

[​IMG]

This is the little tank I've got, which I could possible use...

It's 40 by 25 by 27

[​IMG]

A small observation I've made is that he seems to constantly want to escape the compartment I've made for him... So I'm just a bit worried that he may induce further injuries with scratches etc to his mouth area...

Mr. Quarantine King, @RiaanP ... What do you guys think... Should I leave him in the Compartment or rather transfer the little guy to this quarantine setup?

Here's a closer look at the damage to his fins... :dft004::dft004::dft004:

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all the advice guys!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Honestly sump the coral beauty for a day or two & rescape while he's in the sump then reintroduce him. This has worked for me in the past & learned that form the older reefers.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

moving the Yellow Tang to quarantine is only postponing the next introduction.

Put a black piece of plastic on the bottom of the cage, and a piece of liverock he can pretend to be his home. It is very bare and he will feel threaten out in the open with no place to hide.

They need to see each other and eventually when the Coral Beauty show no more interest you can release the Yellow Tang.

The quarantine should have been setup before the Yellow Tang went into your display. So that it is first there and you can sort out possible outbreaks of whitespot and what not there instead of your display.

17. ChrisRaubs

Makes sense...

So I took a few pieces of LR and placed it inside the compartment...

YT looks a lot more relaxed now. He's now hiding in between the rocks... The CB is totally upset with me right now, cause his fortress is completely gone...

A bit worried about a gap between the tank and cage, hoping the YT doesn't try and escape from that...

Now to wait and see if this guys is going to eat later today/ tomorrow ....

Really hoping the little fella pulls through.

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Well if that doesn't work then try what I said.

19. ChrisRaubs

Report back

Just to report back a bit to this...

Woke up this morning, and found that the sheet of nori was finished... At first I wasn't sure wether the tang has eaten it, or whether it was just torn off by the water movement... So I put another piece in, and sure as it may, the tang started munching...

Super glad he's eating!!! :thumbup:

His fins also started looking much better,,,

So I'm gonna give the guy another three or so weeks to gain his strength and then I'll do the intro...

Great weekend for everyone!:1:

20. ChrisRaubs

Victory!

Good morning guys!

I woke up this morning, and on my way to the kettle I stopped DEAD IN MY TRACKS!!! What do I see,,,???

The Yellow Tang managed to re-introduce himself to the tank somewhere in the night... :eek:

Before panic could jump in, I realized that the two oaks are actually getting along... I probably stood there for 20 min to see whether they're fighting, but the where getting along JUST FINE! :yeahdude:

Once again, a big thank you to all of you guys' help! @jaquesdp08, @JS , @zak , @Strandlooper , @RiaanP , @4age , @MistaOrange :thumbup::yeahdude::1:

Here's a little vid of the two together... Pardon the quality... The iPad doesn't allow HD uploads without wi-fi... :(

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  21. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

Hi chris

thats awsome to hear that you managed to get the two together.
    they dont even seem interested in each other any more.
    looks like your little bit of seperation time but still being able to sense each other worked wonders

Recent Posts