Coral & Anemone Placement

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by Fishcrazy, 5 Dec 2014.

1. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

I've got a Long Tentacle Anemone, Magnificent Anemone, Hammer Coral, Candy Canes and a Mushroom. In my smaller tank I've got a Elegance.

The highest rock in my tank has an Hammer in it and I have a Long Tentacle Anemone that is sitting under the rock on the substrate. If the hammer fully extends and does the anemone they might touch depending on the water movement. Is it okay to put these two so close to each other? They look okay and happy..

I'm also thinking of moving the Elegance from the smaller tank to the big tank, the Elegance is stuck onto LR and about 20cm up. Will the Anemone's and the Elegance also sting each other?

I'm struggling a bit with "where to place the coral in a tank".

LTA and Hammer Coral.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clowning

Clowning

Hey it would be best to have the nennie where it will not touch the other corals as they will sting each other. Depending on how strong the sting is, either the nennie or the coral will show signs of burn. Maybe look at rescaping and having the nennie on one end and the other corals toward the other end.

4. NJH

NJH

And the Elegance also has a powerful sting.

5. Marlize01

Marlize01

anemone

my anemone is white and yellow tip but its been thrown through the hole tank how do i set it where i want it can i use an elastic band to set it to a rock or do i just leave it till it gets stuck some were in the tank and if i can use a band how do one fasten it over the mouth or just on the side

6. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

How long have you had it? Put it in a low flow area to attach itself.

7. Marlize01

Marlize01

got it 3 days
    dont have low flow other wise i must turn off all fans

8. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Turn off a few wave makers. What type of anemone is it? How old is your tank? What lighting do you have?

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Do not use an elastic band to keep your anemone in place! It is not a coral and will not stay put because you are forcing it to do so. All that will happen is you will stress it out and cause it harm...if the elastic happens to keep it tied down all that will happen is it will move once it is released.

Keep in mind an anemone walks because it is unhappy...either with lighting, flow, feels unsafe due to not enough cover or due to issues with water parameters. As others have asked how old is your tank? Anemones should go into mature stable systems to keep them happy...what type of lighting do you have over the tank? Too strong or too weak lighting can be bothering it as well. Many factors to consider here as you can see above... :)

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

By now it should have attached somewhere.

To set an anemone can be easy as just gently holding it in place with its foot touching the rock for 2 or 3 minutes. If its healthy it will grab on to the rock rather quickly. Best is to switch the flow in the tank off for 5 to 10 minutes as well.

As noted by others, the anemone will move thereafter if not happy.

11. StrayTang

StrayTang

best thing to do, turn off the wave makers for a while, let it find its footing,
    and once it has, turn the wave makers back on,
    it will move around to where it likes, then you will have to shuffle your tank around the nenny..

Recent Posts