copperband

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by raflo, 24 Oct 2011.

1. raflo

raflo

Hi reefers

so im a bit worried,my copperband butterfly(just got him yesterday) is not eating and now started getting small white spots.i feed frozen mysis shrimp and micro pellets what can i do? i dont want to lose the guy

any help please!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

raflo im afraid copperband butterflies can be very challenging to get feeding and the chances are good that it hasnt fed while at the LFS so you have you work cut out and need to pay close attention to this fish or it will starve. the white spots are not a good sign either.

I would try a variety of LIVE and frozen (defrost the frozen food in some tank water, drain it, rinse it again and then feed) foods. Try frozen blood worm, frozen krill and mysis shrimp. There is a good chance he will take a nibble.

at the same time get some brine shrimp eggs and hatch them (easy to do, but have a couple of new bathches hatching every few days so the CBB can get as newly hatched as possible as that has the most nutrition.) CBB like live brine and he should recognise it as food.

if you get it eating live brine, introduce some of the frozen alternatives I have mentioned above as they will often then associate the frozen food as being edible while they eat live brine.

how old is your tank? do you know what pods are*? do you have any?

Alan likes this.
  4. raflo

raflo Thread Starter

HI

thnx for advice thus far

my tank is about 4 months old
    pods? no.

5. Furbz

Furbz

best advice,

for now feed him live brine shrimp.
    then mix live with frozen and see if he eats any frozen.
    then just frozen and see if he eats that.

that i i got my copperband eating frozen food.
    they will not take flake food.

6. crispin

crispin

ok that poses a number of problems :( my personal feeling is that tank is about 5 months too younge for a copper band, and the reason I say that is it takes that length of time for a number of natural food sources to grow, establish populations and sustain themselves from the predation from a fish like a Copper Band. Most notably in that list would be sponges and pods.

pods are small lice like things you will see scurrying over LR, especially if you look about an hour after the lights go down. They are a stable food source and need time to establish. Pods do great work at cleaning deep in the rock work and are very benificial to a system, but as I say the tank needs time to mature.

what other fish do you have in there? can you list them for us? CBB are fairly shy and timid feeders, especially when trying to establish a territory and many other fish outcompete them for food, so run your fish list past us and lets see if there are possible difficulties there-

to be blunt (i rarely hold back) that fish sounds like it would be better off taken back to the LFS you got it from and swapped out. I feel they will have a better variety of foods to get it feeding and will have a better chance of keeping the fish alive.

if you decide to keep it though, please for the life of that fish, pay attention to getting it to feed soon, else it will die:(

7. raflo

raflo Thread Starter

ok since the lfs i got it from is across the road from my workplace ill take it back in mornin

thnx for advice guys ;)

8. raflo

raflo Thread Starter

thnx for advice ill probably return him for now as according to crispin my tank still needs to mature a bit more:blush:

9. crispin

crispin

great to hear:)

10. juan R

juan R

I made the same mistake and mine did not last long, needs a very mature tank as it constantly feeds on natural food in and on your live rock.

11. Elrond

Elrond

raflo,

My Copperband only ate Artemia - agressively. Mine also had white spot for the first 2 weeks, took 2 days or so to start eating. Sadly mine lasted 2 months and then ended up in the big fish tank in the sky anyway...

Good-luck!

12. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I must agree that taking the fish back now is probably your best bet. I learnt the hard way and introduced a SailFin Tang after about 4 months as well and the result was an outbreak of whitespot which eventually led to its death :(

You failed to list your other fish you have in the tank. From my experiences when my Tang got whitespot my two clowns I had also developed the same illness and joined the Tang eventually in the big fish tank in the sky :whistling:

My point being that you might now have the whitespot in your tank. I would recommend Noori (dried seaweed) with garlic to feed your fish. You can buy that at your LFS. Also some vitamins to buff your normal food you are feeding to get immune systems strong. I am in no way saying your other fish (if you have any) will get sick Im just saying rather be careful :thumbup:

Otherwise good luck and dont lose heart my friend. This is a wonderful hobby after your tank eventually settles. I would suggest a year and then your tank will almost look after itself sir ;)

13. raflo

raflo Thread Starter

thnx for advice and motivation

sometimes we see a fish and get too exited about buying that we dont consider the risks involved:whistling:

14. raflo

raflo Thread Starter

ps i also have clowns damsels cleaner wrasse cleaner shrimp hermits and snails which are all very healthy and good eaters

15. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

No problem mate :thumbup:

Recent Posts