Copperband vs tube worms

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Boegie, 24 Mar 2011.

1. Boegie

Boegie

I think I made a stupid mistake. I bought a copperband a week ago mainly for the control of aptasia.

Was very worried because of it being difficult to get to eat. It is picking from the rocks and looks like its eating. Did not see it eating any blood worms and other frozen food I give my fish yet. Hope this was not a miss because I have seen no aptasia been eaten yet.

Last night I saw my tube worms "feathers" did not come out. Did the copperband eat them? I suppose so because I read that copperband do eat tube worms.

Well, the reason why I am posting this thread, is to remind those who want to buy a copperband to remove the tube worms first.

But let's discuss it firt because I can be wrong. What is your experience?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Slummies

Slummies

yeah they will chow down on feathers!!

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Copperband butterflyfish = zero fan/tube worms for ever. :)

5. eric.f

eric.f

Copperband

They will eat feathers on tube worms -
    If unsure wheather it is eating enough , get some mussels (common rock type):thumbup: - mine happily chows them (open & feed half at a time).

6. Boegie

Boegie Thread Starter

Yes, was looking at getting some mussels. The LFS also recommended it. I only had 2 tube worms at R80 each. Expensive lesson but now the copperband can start chowing my aptasia. He needs to work for me, that's why I bought him. But because it's a hit and miss I also must make sure he eats.

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Petrus did you buy that CBB from Finny last week? That was mine you bastard! :lol:

Which tank of yours is it in? The new one or the old one? How much liverock and how old is the liverock that you have in there? A CBB thats not taking prepared foods, which that one wasnt...thats why I was waiting on it, should be treated like a Mandarin in my opinion. In other words you must have enough pods and other critters for it to feed on to keep it healthy in the long term. And yes they are hit and miss the last one I had never touched the 1 aptaisia I had in my tank :p

viper357 likes this.
  8. Seabass

Seabass

I have a feeling his is doing the job, but let's see when he gets back from PE, Mr Diamond is playing tonight.

PS: that was my CB:)

Last edited: 8 Apr 2011
  9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Seems shaun promised it to all of us :p

10. colbar

colbar

My Copperband loves live brine shrimp and frozen mysis. Obviously he also eats copepods.

11. crispin

crispin

have you seen you CBB eat any of the food youve offered him. feed it well they often waste away and die of starvation because people dont feed them enough. Also its no gaurentee that it will take the aptasia out, so make sure you have something that he is interested in eating.

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

They seem to go for bloodworm pretty easily from my experience...this soaked in some vitamins will help a bit, but definately having enough live food in the tank will go a long way to keeping this fish alive.

13. Seabass

Seabass

No, he explained that there are alot of guys wanting one, but eating is a problem, so who ever risks it is the winner, and I hope it works for you.:thumbup:

14. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I never took it, Petrus did...there are however 2 at Pampered at the moment if u are after one...they were eating as far as I remember.

15. shrimpman

shrimpman

Copperband .

Hi, to all on this saturday sun,s out and it,s a great day,i have a copperband in my tank, also feather duster,s and a koko worm i,m looking at him/her now having a swim around the tank.It,s never had a go at anything in the tank that i have seen it,s allways picking around the rocks and it takes food out of my fingers. shrimpman .

Recent Posts