copperband tang

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pixies_rock, 30 May 2012.

1. pixies_rock

pixies_rock

I am looking for a copperband tang to buy

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

Hi pixies rock:) welcome to masa its great to have you join:)

that would indeed be a fish worth buying. I have a feeling you are looking for a fish called a Copperband Butterfly, which isnt a tang at all. But its worth also noting that its a very very dificult fish to keep on a long term basis and has a very poor survival rate in captivity. So read up on the fish carefully before you buy one and study the reasons you might want one.

If its to kill aptasia and someone has suggested it as being a controll I am afraid the bad news is that Copper bands (CBB for short) dont kill aptasia. they will eat them and keep them under controll, but should you loose or remove the fish from the system the aptasia will come back.

please read up carefully on this fish before you get one.

4. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

There is a cardinal rule of fish keeping - if you dont know the name of the fish, you probably shouldn't be keeping it :whistling::tt2:

5. crispin

crispin

yeah true Africa, but then again untill one is used to marine fish its not that hard to mix up a butterfly with an angel or a tang untill you are used to the fish family's. but i agree, even once you know the name, many fish probably shouldnt be kept anyway:)

6. rakabos

rakabos

Oh, but welcome to the forum!

Tangs and Butterflies are completely different fish all together. You probably meant Copperband Butterfly, which is not an easy fish to care for when you are new to marines

Last edited by a moderator: 31 May 2012
  7. shaunn

shaunn

Tangs and Butterflies are completely different fish all together.

the CB only eats caviar shrimp :whistling: and the tang other eats every thing u feed it

8. crispin

crispin

hang on a sec guys, the memeber is new, asks a simple question and makes a VERY easy mistake when you are new to fish. Its been corrected and i dont think pixies needs to have his nose rubbed in it.

but if you do post about a fish like a CBB then dont say to a new user that all they eat is caviar shrimp (especially when such thing doesnt exsist and you are doing exaxtly what pixie did to start and mixing two things together and creating something new! Caviar is roe from certain fish species and shrimp are a totally different free living organism)

if you are going to talk about what a CBB eats and give a new member advice then do so with correct info so as to not confuse noobs even further.

we are here to help each other, and noobs in particular.

Just to note CBB are primarily hunters of small pods found within an aquarium and will take different prepared foods (flake or frozen) after some training.

tangs dont eat everything you feed them, but primarily algae, either free growing in the aquarium or supplied in dried form.

9. rakabos

rakabos

Um i dont see where anybody rubbed his nose in it, it was lighthearted banter towards him

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Copperband tang could have been a slip of the tongue, ive done it and i bet everyone else whos posted here has got names mixed up.
    Please stick to posting sensible and helpful info regarding copperbands and keeping them.

11. crispin

crispin

i think 4 people correcting a simple mistake is a little excessive towards a new member, especially as some dont even welcome the poor fella to our forum first. but its primarily the mis-info on what a CBB eats that i react too

12. rakabos

rakabos

Tell us more about why you want one?

13. shaunn

shaunn

i have Cb i am just stating that it not the easy fish to start with and tangs are much easier to feed ect

14. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

They are indeed a bit difficult to keep, I kept one for close to 2yrs, ate live and frozen foods then one day, power failure and my champ pegged. I have added a smaller guy now (purchased from Wild on Pets), he's probably in my system for 2months or so, he actively hunts live pods and is yet to take to frozen/prepared foods.
    As Crispin stated, if you are wanting this guy to control aiptasia, they will keep them in check but not completely eradicate your tank of them as I found out shortly after my first guy died. I purchased the 2nd only cos i love their character and appearance & also to watch them hunt, not to control my aiptasia...

do as much research on them before you purchase, I think that a mature tank with plenty of live pods is the secret to keeping these guys.

15. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Oh, and welcome to MASA. I assume you have a tank up and running, it would be great if you start a thread on it with lots of pictures...:thumbup:

16. shaunn

shaunn

yep my tank had plently pods and after 5 days he stated to eat frozen food :) not a easy fish top keep imo

17. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

I have a copper band now for about 3 weeks, he is eating but very shy only comes out at night, but the CBB does not want to touch any of my aptasia for some reason,:(

18. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

As stated, they cannot be counted on for aiptasia control, they may take the smaller ones but not the big basters and thats not even a guarantee...

19. shaunn

shaunn

mine neither but its the fish i like and if there is aphasia and he does not eat it so be it as long as he eat that's is my concern

20. shaunn

shaunn

i think we are all hijacking this newbies thread :p

21. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

That is true, long as he eats its fine, but need to sort out this aptasia tank is full of it, tried a few things but nothing works as there are so many

Last edited: 31 May 2012
Recent Posts