Urgent help needed Copperband sick or stung?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Jaco Schoeman, 28 Aug 2010.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi

My dad asked me to post this on his behalf. His CBB is starting to show signs of concern. It is not eating, and has a weird reddish pinkish color on it's body. It is still swimming, and doesn't look too "sick", but beneath the skin there is a definite color pigmentation problem and from the photos, you can see a clear external tissue damage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now... The question we have is this; can you identify it as being an illness or an attack from a invert, or a sting from that deadly anemone my dad has in his tank.

The Anemone is a Night Anemone, and even though there are little info on the web on it, it has been researched and shown that it has tissue attacking capabilities, especially in kidneys. My dad says the CBB has been stung a week or so back, so we want to know if this is due to the sting or due to a "normal" illness?

Thanks...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

It is a good possibility that the anemone is to blame. As you already stated, there is little info available on this anemone. The information that is available states that it is dangerous, powerful, and searches for food at night. Unfortunately I don't have any more information on this species.

4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi .
    Im not sure of the name night anemone, but if its the same as the pic here ( tube anemone or fireworks anemone )

[​IMG]

, ive had a similar experience when it stung my sailfin tang, it left whit burn lines on the body for a few weeks, but never went red like that ulcer looking marks i see on yours.

Good luck with it though, oh... , try putting in some Sea chem stress gaurd into the tank.

Stress gaurd binds with the protienin fish wounds, to heal and minimise secondry infection.

Its compatible with all med exept copper and i use it with all new fish when letting them out of the baggs.

Cheers

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It could possibly be a sting seeing as these fish are very active at night, he could have accidentally made contact with the anemone, it could also possibly be a bacterial infection, look up vibrio infection and see what you think.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2010
  6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

@ Old PE Boy... No, it is not a tube anemone, we have those too. You would most likely not be familiar with the Night Anemone. Most people being in this hobby for MANY years have never heard of it. I also never even knew it existed untill now... :p Check on Masa, username: freek. That is my dad and he made a post of it.

Then some feedback; the CBB swam (or tried to swim anyway) behind liverock on Saturday morning, never ever to be seen again - so we presume it is dead...

I say that it was Miss. Scarlet, in the Library with the candle stick... LOL!!!

Nah, I think it is safe to blame the nennie for the death then.

7. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

I also think its the Nennie! That fish was doing great for so long and now all of the sudden this happens..:p

8. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Lol , thanks for the update, i will have a look, sounds very interesting tks.

Recent Posts