Copperband Habits?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ShaunSwindon, 29 Nov 2012.

1. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Hi guys and apologies for asking questions which perhaps have already been answered.

I bought a Copperband over the weekend. He is the weirdest little thing in the World. When lights are on he constantly swims away from my liverock setup. When lights are off and natural light lights the tank he starts hunting and trying to feed? I am confused :whistling:

So I have tried feeding him frozen brine shrimp, Mysis and pellets when the lights are off and no luck. He just swims past the food but looks more excited in his efforts searching the rocks for anything to eat.

I am going to try and get some frozen bloodworm and some garlic additive to add to the frozen food in the next day or two.

Any other suggestions please?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

CB's are more active during dusk and dawn, this way they can hunt their natural prey that is usually nocturnal, like copepods and worms.

Try getting some live brine shrimp too, see if he eats that. If he does, then mix in some frozen myasis and super shrimp and see if you can trick him into eating the frozen food.
    I hope this works, CB's are hit and miss in the eating department.:(

5. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon Thread Starter

I must admit I bought the CB under the advice of a trusted LFS. I did not see the animal actually eating and thus my mistake?

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Time will tell! Always ask if you can see the fish eating, no matter how well you trust the LFS. Hopefully you're will come right! Don't give up!

7. ShaunSwindon

Well its two weeks ago and the little guy is still looking ok.

Some tips for other CB hopeful keepers.

1. I fed frozen mysis dosed with garlic concentrate. He went bananas inspecting the live rock the moment the food hit the water but actually only ate very little eventually.

2. I tried bloodworm dosed with garlic concentrate and he did not eat any that I saw.

3. Then I bought half shell muscles and tied them together to simulate a full muscle. I took one section of meat out and positioned the muscle as though it was attached to the live rock and half open. Wow what a reaction I got from that. The CB camped close by the muscle and pecked at the meat inside the shell the entire day. I must admit my Pistol Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp and Hermit Crab ate most of the meat but the CB from what I watched swallowed a number of large pieces.

So I do understand how rich the muscle meat is in my tank especially so I have decided to feed frozen Mysis with Garlic concentrate and a spirulina mix and then the muscle shell once a week. I will see how things go and increase feeding if necessary but for now I am just breathing a sigh of relief for now :thumbup:

Last edited: 14 Dec 2012
  8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Great technique. You can also try fresh clams, which you can buy from any deli or food lovers market, fish section. Mine loves that.

9. ShaunSwindon

Yeah thanks but I must admit Ive been battling to get fresh clams. Thus why I settled on Muscles ;)

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Have you tried without the Garlic concentrate? There have been scientific studies that indicate that garlic may actually cause liver damage in our fish, just something to keep in mind, it would appear small amounts may be fine for initially trying to get the fish to feed, but then try to stop using garlic once the fish is eating.:)

Last edited: 15 Dec 2012
  11. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

ive been thru 5 copperbands in my reefing history and so far,no luck.... i guess some guys who get them eating ,or get them to eat are just lucky buggers:p specially aptasia

12. marine101

marine101

Ive been through 7, but my latest the 8th, is feeding like crazy! initially only ate blood worms off the rocks, now actively eats them outa the water column. so success is still only less than 10% overall.

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:thumbup::thumbup:

14. ShaunSwindon

Strange as I thought the vitamin C would be super great for them :whistling:

I am not planning on feeding Garlic everytime. Just to get something enriched into their systems.

Thanks for all the comments by the way gents :thumbup:

I never realised how difficult CB can be to keep :(

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts