Copperband feeding

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by lanzo, 12 Mar 2008.

1. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Hey guys
    My copperband is beutifull but a bit on the stupid side!:1:
    He seems to be eating only live brine shrimps and if i throw them in all my other fish eet it before my copper regestirs that there is live food in the tank.

So i throw in omega flakes and then directly after it i add the live brine shrims.....
    he is still a bit on the slow side but seems to eet a few.

How can i get him off of the live food and let him eat dead brine shrimps or flakes?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Lanzo - This is the BIGGEST task to keep a copperband butterfly alive...
    Keep on giving live brineshrimp.... slowly mix in "dead"/frozen brineshrimp with the live... Then use more and more frozen brineshrimp, and later stop the live brine-shrimp,while feeding only frozen brineshrimp.....
    Hope this works for you...

4. lanzo

lanzo Thread Starter Sponsor

i'l try this method, hope it works.
    I know this fish is a pecky eater that is why i got him.( i want a fish that is a "uitdaaging")

5. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

What also works is get a closed mussel and make a hole just big enough for the CBB to get its long mouth in

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Thats an awesome idea Kanga! Did you try this before?

7. SIMS

SIMS

eish...sorry to say I went down this road before and it aint fun. I tried everything but it just did not work. These fish are really nice and I have one on my wish list but getting them to eat is a problem. Hope for the best...

8. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

yip it works for some, not all CBB;)

9. lanzo

lanzo Thread Starter Sponsor

hey Kanga this sounds nice, now i have a excuse for having seafood tom..:) ( buy a bag of mussles and eat with the CCB:thumbup: )

Does the cbb eat mussel kanga

10. SlumiesBoi

SlumiesBoi

Is it safe to only feed my CBB oysters? He loves the oysters and chows himself fat on it.

Will he survive on that or should I get him onto other prepared food?

The reason I'm asking is coz today I've noticed that he has lost a bit of color on his dorsal fin.

11. FransSny

FransSny

It is never a good idea to only feed one type of food, a varied diet will ensure it gets all the nutritional elements needed. Personally I am a fan of prepared foods , there are also some nice frozen mixes available which will give a balanced diet.

Or just use the method described in this thread

12. Anita

Anita Sponsor

Copperbands love to eat aiptasias, trouble is once you get them in your tank, they are a pain to get out again..........Anita

13. crispin

crispin

sorry to disagree on such a broad statement but ive found that not all CBB take to eating aptasia at all, and if they do, they dont kill them but graze them down so that if you loose the CBB later you will have a bigger aptasia problem. CBB are often purchased as a resort to controll an aptasia problem which is often a hit an miss with the fish not eating the aptasia or any other provided food (other than pods in the tank) often leading to the fishes death through slow starvation. I think CBB are a VERY poor method of aptasia controll and should never be purchased for that sole purpose. The other big problem in feeding CBB is the shyness of their nature means that other fatser fish eat first and they get little.

also if you have a CBB thats eaten all your (visible) aptasia its most likley taken to prepared foods too and although they might be difficult to catch who would want to remove one. They are stunningly beautiful fish with gentle personalities and generally reef safe for a butterfly, so if you get a keeper of a Copper Band, keep it:)

Helga likes this.
  14. pXius

pXius

Got my CB onto small grain pellets and frozen brine with Seachem Entice. He obviously also destroyed all my feather dusters.... I can't comment on the aptasia side though, didn't have any in the tank to begin with.

15. crispin

crispin

this is a nice thread to see that even @lanzo started off way back in 2008 not knowing too much about the feeding of CBB, great to see how much he has learnt and what he has done with his passion and hobby in a relativley short period of time. kudos fella

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Anita

Anita Sponsor

Sorry to disagree with you Crispin, all the Copperbands we have kept have often only fed on aiptasia, they are extremely difficult to feed, and IMO should not really be purchased (just like seahorses) unless you really have the right conditions. I did not say in any way that they should be kept to eat aiptasis, apology please!! I also said that the problem is after the fish is gone (for whatever reason) aiptasia are very difficult to get rid of.......Anita

17. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

They are indeed beautiful fish!! I'm one of the lucky ones, it polished my aiptasia(with help from a few Peppermint shrimps), decimated my feather dusters and eats all frozen foods, even joins the pack when the mussel goes in....

18. George

George Sponsor

You are one of the lucky onesgMan
    These pics were taken more than 10years ago we stopped bringing them in because only 1 in 10 would actually start feeding and that mortality rate was too high.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Jarred van niekerk

Jarred van niekerk

do they chow corals?i have softies and sps and i have always wanted 1 but im scared of it eating my corals?

20. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Question: anyone have experience with copperbands eat flatworm?

21. Helga

Helga

I have had my CBB for more than a year now. I call "Baby" as she just has the most wonderful temperament. She's as fat as Miss Piggy, inspecting every little crevis looking for pods etc and just to top it all she is crazy about any frozen food direct from the feeding tube. She is so tame she's actually a menace when I move rocks around. Always hovering around and under the rock while I'm trying to move it. Now as a treat, she gets a rock from the sump every so often which I hold with the gripping tong suspended so that she can check for pods. I have never ever seen her nip any coral.

I think whats important to remember is that Copperbands are just like any other fish that has specific diets and needs (mandarins, Anthias, Angels, Wrasse and many more). Caution should be taken before we buy fish because they are beautiful just to die in our tanks of starvation. We all have internet these days, do some research before you buy and make sure your tank can provide the necessary food for such animal if it does not take frozen or dried foods. And dont buy a fish that is not feeding in the LFS holding tanks.

Baby is a model citizen! I I was very lucky... she ate since day 1.

Recent Posts