Copperband eating aiptasia

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I took a short video clip of my copperband eating some aiptasia that I purposely put in the tank. Murphy's law I sat there for a good 20 minutes with my finger on the record button waiting for him to swim towards it but but nothing, I got up, went out of the room, came back and he was busy chowing :lol: so I rushed to switch the camera on, lol. But at least I caught a bit of it. It's in HD, I think. :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Been looking for these guys but they seem to rather scarce at the moment.
Got myself a couple of small peppermint shrimps and my yellow wrasse loved me for it. :blush:

There is also talk on other forums of getting filefish to eat aiptasia but believe that is also a hit and miss scenario.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Got myself a couple of small peppermint shrimps and my yellow wrasse loved me for it.
:lol::lol::lol: I bought 2 peppermint shrimps, not sure if they are nocturnal or what but I haven't seen them since I put them in the tank. :(

There is also talk on other forums of getting filefish to eat aiptasia but believe that is also a hit and miss scenario.
Yes I've seen them, but apparently there's a chance they can take a liking to coral polyps as well.

Reaction score
Reaction score
You guys reckon he will fit in with my multitude of Tangs or shall I just keep on using the aiptasia X?
i think if you want to rid yourself of aptasia then a direct injection is the best way to go. Its great to see a CBB smashing aptasia like deans does, but those aptasia are on a hard plastic pipe, if they are in LR the aptasia tend to retract and wait till the coast is clear before comming out again. CBB are NOT a cure for aptasia, they will controll them but NOT kill them outright. Nudibranches could be a better option for you, although those tile fish are pretty funky looking fish too, although like a CBB they wont kill them.

Reaction score
Great vid though viper, and with it being in the middle of the afternoon you managed well with the focus, thank goodness it wasnt after a couple of :peroni:

Reaction score
Have you tried Bergia nudibranches Q
I know some of the sponsors are selling them and you gonna need about 10 of them but @ R250 a pop... :whistling:

I dont have loads of the little buggers in my tank but the odd one or two big ones that I zapped and obviously a couple smaller ones that came for free from the LFS when you buy coral and rock. :lol::lol:

I think the CBB is more for show that anything else and on my wanna have list but having something to feed the guy in your tank is always good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's going to be a tricky one, I introduced my CB after my yellow tang, my CB was bullied for three days, eventually sumped the tang, re-intoduced him, and it still didn't work, tried the mirror trick, eventually I gave up and swapped him for a Naso at Idol Marine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unfortunately a copperband is not guaranteed to eat aiptasia. Its a gamble and one of the main reasons why its very important to make sure it eats prepared foods before buying. I was fortunate enough to get one that eats both.

Reaction score
I had some aptaisia popping up on some coral pieces and afer i introduced an old woman juvi i havent seen any aptaisia in my tank since. He doesnt touch any other coral not even the zoas.

Reaction score
I heard that they tend to nip at some corals, and I am very hesitant to buy one. How true is it that they will nip at corals?

Reaction score
I think my copperband nipped at a organ pipe coral but I am not sure. It has not nipped at any other corals and I have a wide variety.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Some angels are more likely to eat aiptasia than copperbands.

Copperbands are not guaranteed to eat aiptasia. Most likely you will struggle more to get it too feed.

Reaction score
Some angels are more likely to eat aiptasia than copperbands.

Copperbands are not guaranteed to eat aiptasia. Most likely you will struggle more to get it too feed.
Which angels?

Reaction score
my doublesash butterfly flattened all the aptasia i had within a week or 2 of me putting him ... never saw aptasia again
Reefsafe?

Top Bottom