Copperband Destruction

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by PeterL, 30 Jun 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I have a CopperBand which is causing much destruction to my reef, it is picking the life out of my open brain (which is is bad shape as a result) and is picking my tube worm to bits - seems to have a fit with each of the feathers it eats but just keeps on going back at it.

Is there any way of stopping this behavior other than removing it completely from the system - I have it up for sale but if it is preventative, I would like to keep it. Otherwise it must sadly go

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

those are both common recognised foods for the CBB, so i seriously doubt he will stop.

4. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Why does he/she give an uncomfortable spasmic twitch for about 30sec or so after picking the feather worm?

It is trivial, I am just curious to learn now but it is going to go, one way or another.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Remove the feather and open brain until you can move the copperband. sumping the Copperband, and he will die. Unless you got cheato and lots of copepods. But then you will have no copepods...

You can put the feather in the sump, it is a filter feeder after all.

The open brain? needs some light as well. So depending on your sump, if there is sufficient light, put it there as well, or at another reefer for a week or two. Until you can find a new home for the copperband.

6. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Stupid me - that is so obvious.
    Here I am just leaving it all in the DT.
    Thanks Riaan...I will see if I can get my daughter to get into the tank and do this lot for me - it has to be done ASAP because this fish is making a proper mess of the place and I have taken such decent care of it all without a single loss in my system until now.

7. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Well, I just given my 8yr old the instructions over the phone to sump the brain and feather, will report back how it goes...I think she undrstood and comprehends enough on the system to be able to pill it off OK - it isn't rocket science but it is the first time I have allowed my kids to get into the DT.

I never thought I would have hed any kind of depression over 1 fish, I guess considering the attention I have given the tank one does grow rather attached to the life inside it...:(

8. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

i have a LOT of aptasia, wonder if this guy would work?

9. robertkukla

robertkukla

im sure she will get it sorted for you

10. Neil H

let me know if you want to sell her Peter, i am off to Oz on monday so will have to sort it out before then ..... has she eater any aiptasia in your tank? How big is she?

11. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I have it in the for sale foum Neil - all the details are there with pic.
    I haven't had and currently don't have aptasia so I wouldn't know if it would eat it.

12. brendanpre

brendanpre

Sorry to hi jack ur thread, but I have Aiptasia popping up all over my nano. I've been murdering what I can with Joe's Juice, but some of it is in places I can't get to without redoing the rockwork. What is suitable for a nano that eats Aiptasia?

13. Neil H

Fish has settled into his new home, my YT and fox face gave it a bit of shit, but this morning all was well and he was picking at the rocks, here is hoping he gets stuck in to the aiptasia soon !!

14. crispin

crispin

nice purchase neil. lets hope he just likes aptasia instead of open brains for brekkies :)

15. mnd123

mnd123

My CBB eats all the aiptasia and eats pellets, thats what I think has saved my brain corals. My mate has a CBB that cleaned up the Aips and then took out 3 brains and a donut coral....

Guess if you can get one that eats fish food you luck out

16. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Great to hear he has settled in, I didn't have any hassles with it. I had heard they are difficult to aclimatise and and and - this little fella just made it's self right at home at my place. Similar to what he has with you.

He actually behaved himself for like 3 weeks and just picked at the rocks without disturbing anything, then when he got really tame - sometimes taking food right from my fingers, he got enthusiastic enough to start smashing away at the open brain. Unfortunate for me, lucky for you - I just hope he does the job you need it to.

17. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

hey brendanpre,

Get yourself 2 peppermint shrimp for your nano.

I've put 2 in my 4 ft and the aptaisia on the one side of the tank has been destryed all this in one week.

18. brendanpre

brendanpre

OK cool! Do you know if we have anything suitable in the waters around DBN? I enjoy hunting for little critters locally in the rock pools, so any excuse to get wet is used to full benefit:p!!! If we don't have anything local I will try the peppermints though.

19. chikaboo

chikaboo

You can also try local butterflies but they might also develope a taste for your corals......

20. Trev

Trev

Dude I feel for you my new angel has just started gowing through my softiest like a lawn mower so I have sumped him but the bad news is that I think my foxface has learnt from the angel that those colourfull thingies actualy taste good, I am keeping an eye on things atm to see if this is the case or not :(

21. brendanpre

brendanpre

Eish!!! Not quite the desired outcome......

Recent Posts