Copper Risk.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Right guys here is the situation. I am getting 4 tanks from NP as they are moving and getting rid of some of their holding tanks. The 4 i am getting have benn used as hospital tanks in the past and have had copper treatments done, mind i am only getting the tanks, no gravel, Rock or any other decoration.
Would these tanks be safe to hook up to my main system? Is it true that copper can leach out of the silicone? These tanks were also used for fresh water over the last 4 months so are fairly clean.
Thanks guys.

Hi Alan - the theory exists, BUT I have never seen proof of it. My first marine tank was a fresh water tank for 7 years, before I converted to marine. I also used to doze copper medicine in the past. I have NEVER had invertebrates die afterwards, in this tank. I kept a nemmie, corals, shrimps, etc in this same tank quite successfully before I upgraded to my 2 metre. So, even though the theory exists, have I never seen proof of this before....

I reckon a good wash with hydrochloric acid would do the trick or maybe PM Midasblenny and ask him what you could use to possibly cleanse or draw out any copper left in the tanks.

Copper

Would these tanks be safe to hook up to my main system? Is it true that copper can leach out of the silicone? These tanks were also used for fresh water over the last 4 months so are fairly clean.
Thanks guys.

No, will not be ''SAFE"
Copper leaches from glass, and silicone sealant.
But not enough to make tank useable, due to time and waterchanges alone.

You have to verify, Cu levels, with testkit.
Then apply adsorbent material/media until you get it below any toxic level.

I have used, Seachem Cuprisorb, with great success.

It is cheaply regenerable, for repeated use (with HCl/muriatic acid)

The manufacturer, supplies directions to make aquaria safe for invertebrate maintenance or culture.

Hennie/ReefManiac supervised a BFN hobbyist with a Cu scare. His input would assist you as well.

Cost of media, and time necessary VS (free?) tank value.
Is it worth it?

I'd say if total volume of tanks > 800L it will be.

Alan,my 2ft frag setup i had was previously a copper tank which stood for a few months before i used it.just gave it a wash and all my frags were fine.

Back
Top Bottom