copper poison

Reaction score
hello ek se

i wanna make my own chiller and i was wondering if i could use 1/4' copper pipe and bend it up like a fridge coil for cooling in summer. Will the copper be poisonous or what other method of DIY cooling is there

any help

thanks ek se

howzit china, ya, copper is a definite no-no, all aquarium chillers are made from titanium tubing, that's what makes them so expensive. A lot of people have tried the diy route, silicone tubing in fridges etc. but it's a lot harder then we think. :(

howzit china, ya, copper is a definite no-no, all aquarium chillers are made from titanium tubing, that's what makes them so expensive. A lot of people have tried the diy route, silicone tubing in fridges etc. but it's a lot harder then we think. :(

I second that, having taken a broken chiller apart, i can say that they are a bit more complicated than one would expect:p

hey thanks guys im still gonna look around and if i come right ill let you all know thanks

I am going to make my own chiller this summer

I can't see that this is that hard to make. when I get it working will share the plans.

Yip Titanium is the best and safest material to use but you can use the copper coil idea if you insulate the copper piping. You do take the risk however that if the insulation is broken without your knowledge, then the copper will be in direct contact with the aquarium water. I’ve seen plenty homemade chillers run this way with success. Here is a friend of mines that has run on this method for 8 years+
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=12037&highlight=toti+tank

Back
Top Bottom