Urgent help needed Copper in water

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by racerchic, 18 Feb 2010.

1. racerchic

racerchic

Hi

Notices 2 of my clowns looking a bit sick in my Nano. One not eating. I tested the water all was ok except I had a copper reading of 0.3. How can I get this back to zero. The LFS sold me a bag of something to put in the filter. Is there no chemical I can add. I only use water from the LFS so I can only think their RO system is not working.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Activated carbon should help, but I'd say, from my fresh water experience, a water change is in order. And a fairly large one.

Use loads of activated carbon in the filter.

4. racerchic

racerchic Thread Starter

Thanks i will get some water from the aquarium tomorrow. :thumbup:

5. Slummies

Slummies

am i correct to say that copper should not harm fish?

look at the that methylayn (spelling) blue we put in to stop fish diseases?

6. racerchic

racerchic Thread Starter

THE NATURE OF THE COPPER

When copper ions get into our aquarium water, they will complex with several other salt water ingredients and some of the things we put in our aquariums. Copper ions, as noted above, are very fond of forming complexes with carbonates. When they do, this complex is not very soluble at the pH of our aquariums and it will precipitate, or come out of solution.

Copper ions will do the same with rocks and substrates that contain any form of carbonate materials. This is one reason why it is best to use copper medications in a hospital tank without such materials.

The precipitated copper-carbonate will redissolve if the pH of our water goes down. This has the effect of suddenly increasing the amount of copper in our tank water. So, the aquarist thinks they are in control of the copper concentration only to find that there is a surge of copper. In addition to maintaining the effective copper concentration, attention has to be given to the holding the pH of the water steady. By the way, this surge in copper, no matter how short of time it is, is enough to permanently injure, poison, or kill the fish being treated.

Another thing has to be made clear about copper as a medication. It is a poison as has been stated previously. Copper can and does cause stress in the fish and thus, does some harm to all fishes at detectable (by test kits) concentrations. [See: Stress (and the Single Marine Fish)]

Copper medications can harm the fish without the aquarist even realizing. In 'effective concentrations' that kill the disease organism, copper stresses the fish and in effect is slowly killing it. Furthermore, (even in low concentrations) copper can stress the fish and weaken it, allowing all sorts of other conditions to affect the fish. I have to be the 'adult' here! Copper is not a toy! [​IMG]

If you decide to use a copper treatment the fish might stop eating. Copper is a stress to the fish and some fish respond by not eating, acting in a peculiar manner, or becoming afraid of its own shadow.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Racerchic - I would agree 100% - please do a few water changes, and as big as you can, a few days in a row. And I too would rather use 2 Oceans' water. I have been using their water since I started (I have ONLY ever used their water).... And I have never really had any issues at all.

8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Unfortunately, NO.

Copper to fish is like chemo-therapy in humans - pretty radical. Copper medication for fish should be reserved for really serious fish diseases, just as chemo is only used on really serious human diseases...

I agree with the advise to do water changes (but NOT from your usual supplier...) and to run carbon. If I remember correctly, there is a product available in the hobby which absorbs copper, but unfortunately I cannot remember it's name - ask a reputable petshop.

Keep in mind that some copper could (would...) have been absorbed by your live rock. It would be imperative to either restrict this LR to use in a FO system, or to throw the LR away and start fresh if you have (or plan to have in the future) inverts in the tank.

Hennie

9. flappy

flappy

Hennie I think the product you are refering to is Seachems Cuprisorb.

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yup, that's it.

Thanks, Flappy

Hennie

11. lIghty

lIghty

Ive used water condioner (removes heavy metals) in my QT to remove Cu. I makes the skimmer go nuts!
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. JD167

JD167

Also try and locate the source of the copper???

Recent Posts