Coolingtower? Help!!

Reaction score
Hi Guys, after posting pics of my new setup we got onto the topic of cooling seeing as it can get quite hot here in the Northern Cape! So I spoke to Cybervic just a moment ago and he suggested that I build a coolingtower. Any of you guys familiar with the concept and how effective it is?

Pls guys any other suggestions would be appreciated! I'm working on a budget so a chiller is out of the question at this stage:( Allready have two 220v PC fans in the hood and got two 12v fans but I haven't figured out what to do with them yet. My avg temp is 28.2 with a .4 degree fluctuation both ways.

I can understand your problem with the abient temp you guys have. I would go to a pawn shop and try and fid an old bar fridge or small fridge. Drill 2 holes and run a curled lenth of piping and pump the water through their. Second hand small fridge should come cheap.

Pls guys any other suggestions would be appreciated! I'm working on a budget so a chiller is out of the question at this stage:( Allready have two 220v PC fans in the hood and got two 12v fans but I haven't figured out what to do with them yet. My avg temp is 28.2 with a .4 degree fluctuation both ways.

Have you got PC fans on your sump, blowing directly on the water. It works well for me.

Hi Alfie, I also have the same idea but I can't seem to find anything here, only new ones! What do you guys think of my next idea-

I have a 1,5 ft tank available(thanks Cybervic! owe you!:thumbup: ) what if i first let my overflow trickle into it using a spraybar, then cover the tank with one or two fans above it with a hole for excess air to escape, wichafter the "cooled" water then in turn runs over into my sump via a overflow?

Hi Alfie, I also have the same idea but I can't seem to find anything here, only new ones! What do you guys think of my next idea-

I have a 1,5 ft tank available(thanks Cybervic! owe you!:thumbup: ) what if i first let my overflow trickle into it using a spraybar, then cover the tank with one or two fans above it with a hole for excess air to escape, wichafter the "cooled" water then in turn runs over into my sump via a overflow?

Might work but I have no experience with that.

I was just thinking another option might be to make a shit load of ice, take a large cooler box, drill holes in the top through which you feed along coil. Fill with ice and seal then pump water through their.

I think that would also work fine although it'll be a lot of work with the cubes!!!

This is the idea I got from Cybervic if I understood him correctly, Wikus please correct me if I misunderstood. Do you think it will work?

Here is a crude sketch:

76047d9224525fba.jpg

That would certainly cool the water, but by how much would be a guess, the idea would be to try and cool the water by evaporation, the more evaoration the more cooling.

I reckon you would be fine blowing it over the top of the sump as well.

Once you have done this why dont you write an Evaporative cooling article for here and win an LCD:thumbup:

I far a I know, cooling towers only cool water to or just below ambient temperature, they were designed to cool water hotter than ambient temp, eg. Hot water through it releases the energy into the air, if you pump water "room" temp water though it, the only cooling effect you will have is from evaporation as the air is the same temp.

IMO

That would certainly cool the water, but by how much would be a guess, the idea would be to try and cool the water by evaporation, the more evaoration the more cooling.

I reckon you would be fine blowing it over the top of the sump as well.

Once you have done this why dont you write an Evaporative cooling article for here and win an LCD:thumbup:

Then I will have to start working on it this afternoon and see if i'm up to the challenge!:)

I far a I know, cooling towers only cool water to or just below ambient temperature, they were designed to cool water hotter than ambient temp, eg. Hot water through it releases the energy into the air, if you pump water "room" temp water though it, the only cooling effect you will have is from evaporation as the air is the same temp.

IMO

Well i guess it's worth a try, have all the odds and ends at home. I think that if I use a strong enough fan i will at least get some result...

You can cool it to lower than the dry bulb temp, in fact if the air is dry enough and you have enough surface area and and enough air movement you can drop the temp by 12°C, unlikely in a tank, but in theory possible.

I once saw a box design that the water falls through a grid, with openings on two sides, on one side it has 2 cpu fans blowing through the chamber were the water is falling...and the air escapes through the other side vent...
The water collects at the bottom of the chamber and flows into the sump...

Hi highfive, you think a eggcrate grid will work?

I once saw a box design that the water falls through a grid, with openings on two sides, on one side it has 2 cpu fans blowing through the chamber were the water is falling...and the air escapes through the other side vent...
The water collects at the bottom of the chamber and flows into the sump...

JP, this is more what I had in mind. Have a look at how a normal water cooler operate. This produces cold air even in our climate, so that should cooldown the tank. I'd also move the fan to the side of the pipe, as that will give you more evaporative cooling.

Back
Top Bottom