Cooling water down

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Jaco Schoeman, 16 Nov 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys... I am in desperate need of advise quickly;

What is the best way to cool water down? My tank was running at 31deg yesterday (to my amazement no ill effects :whistling:)

Anyway, I know there are two main options:

1) Fans. By running PC fans 24hrs over the DT water surface (open top tank) would cool it down, but would this increase evaporatin?

2) Chiller. This is much more expensive, but a much greater way to control temp right? Just a question on chillers however: how does one clean it? It will gather algae over time right, so one must clean it right?

What is your take on this please?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i use the fans, evaporative cooling, but with my auto-top now installed i have worries.
    i blow air over the sump, and i also make sure my heaters are set to 22-23deg ro failsafe as my lounge is very warm

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

So Dallas would you say Chiller is advicable? Another main reason I would like to have one, is that the NPS reef setup I have, generally comes in cooler water. My aim is to keep my tank running at between 24 -24.5 deg, and I think a chiller would be the best control to do this.

But again, how does one clean inside a chiller?

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yes then a chiller would be perfect, since is metal, not much algae would grown inside of it, also due to flow and temp, but i would asssume a pipe cleaner would work...

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

My tank was also around 30 on friday when I got home. I installed 3 pc fans and the temp dropped to 26 in about 2 hours. (its only a 3ft though). With the fans your evaporation is quite a bit higher but the auto top up handles that. Jut make sure the reservoirs is filled often.

7. Sentari

Sentari

I also had a problem with heating this weekend. My tank was up to 29 deg.

I'm ordering fans as we speak!

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My tank used to run hot, then I got myself an open scrubber. Putting a PC fan over the scrubber will be even more effective.

Had to remove the PC fan, as my heaters were running midday during February.

Top-up is a problem though. But Auto Top-up should short that out.

9. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks guys, but again, when I need water to stay constant at 24deg even with ambient at 32.5 (like this weekend) I think a chiller would do best...

I also have a top up installed, but i am already replacing so much water as is...

Would a chiller also help aleviate the evaporation issue?

10. Renannchen

Renannchen

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

By the sounds of it you really want a chiller so go for it. It will keep your tank cooler than fans and will definitely be less water replacement than with the fans.

12. Pugsly

Pugsly

ony picked this thread up now - I run a chiller on my setup for well over a year now and have problems.

Does not need to be cleaned algea does not grow inside.I would suggest just flushing it out every now and then with a bit more pressure but other than that no problems. My tank is a constant 25 all year round and it helps with evaporation. will be money well spent, trust me

13. chops

chops

i use 2 pc fans work well

14. mnd123

mnd123

I used to have an extractor fan (the toilet type) drawing air from my office over the sump - but I have an AC in my office. As I have added MH this is not viable anymore and have had to invest in a chiller.

15. Pugsly

Pugsly

fans work great during the colder months but not in summer withthe lights on!
    Before I got my chiller I used fans and it worked so so - but the chiller is the only way to know that your temp will maintain the desired temp always!

16. Monti

Monti

You do get sediment/ crap buildup in the skimmer over time which may affect performance. What you need to do is just disconnect it every once in a while and blast water through it (or do what I did and blow through the outlet to see what comes out)

17. FDB

FDB

What about airconditioning?

18. Lorenza

Lorenza

I also had same problem but my fan seems to work very well (apart from the noise factor).
    Was thinking abt getting a drop-in coil chiller - don't know too much abt it & if it'll work... Any advice is welcome.

19. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

I have the same problem with my Boyu TL450. Without fans, I have sometimes seen my tank sitting at 34 ?! (luckily i'm still cycling but still). I put 2 fans over the feeding lid and now my tank balances at a healthy 25 -26 but I lose nearly 4L a day to evaporation!!! This is fine if you just think you can top it up but it must play hell on my SG levels so i'm currently working on a PC fans triggered by a thermostat at a certain temp (much like a heater just opposite). Hopefully this will tame evaportaion as the fans arent on 24/7 yet still get the job done of cooling the tank down.

So far I've built the thermostat circuit which unfortunately is giving me issues currently, but once that sorted out, hopefulluy I can get something tangible happening.

Obviously a chiller is the ultimate answer but wifey willl not exactly be happy with that purchase right now :whistling:

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Obviously it is your lights heating the tank. Why not put the fans on the same timer as the lights? Easiest solution.
    Also, the more evaporation, the more stable our temperature. Rather invest in a top-up unit first, before going for a chiller. One day, anyway you have to get a top-up unit.
    Also a fan blowing over a scrubber is extremely effective. But you must get a top-up unit.

21. dv8

dv8

i would also definately say the chiller, i have also heard of another option that i did not yet sea anyone mention: put long length of pipe coiled under ground, it is suposed to be cooler deaper under ground. and then you just run water from the tank through it, i think there is a thread here somewhere mentioning something about it. but i would definately still go for the chiller.

Recent Posts