Cooling the system in a different way

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by LuckyFish, 22 Jan 2010.

1. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Hi guys, I posted this in a other thread (Smoking section and reef tank). Maybe not a lot of people will read this thread, so I decided to made a new one.

The idea is to use the earth to cool the system in summer.
    The air that gets sucked from the skimmer can be pre cooled from the earth/soil.
    Depending on the amount of air is needed, the pipe should be 40 or 50 mm in diameter (or even bigger). The pipe should be at least 1 m deep and 10 metres long. The inlet above the ground should have an air filter ( active carbon to dry the air and to avoid mould in the pipe).
    The temperature in 1,2 metre depth should be stable all year around 12 to 14 degrees.
    The air gets sucked or pumped into the skimmer, after the fresh air went through the pipe and is cooled down in summer and heated up in winter (if fresh air is needed in winter).
    The slower the air travels through the ground, the closer it will reach 12 to 14 degrees.

This system is used for a kind of air condition systems. Crispin should know it too, because over there, all the wooden framed houses got such a system.

That´s how it works:
    [​IMG]

FRISCHLUFT = fresh air
    FRISCHLUFTFILTER = take a guess;)

ERDWÄRMETAUSCHER = difficult to translate, earth heat exchanger
    ZULUFT = incoming air into the room
    ABLUFT = outgoing air out of the rooms
    FORTLUFT = air goes out of the building

That box, where all the nice colours meet, is used to withdraw the energy from the outgoing air, to use that energy to heat up the incoming air.
    The earth heat exchanger provides in winter pre heated air and in summer pre cooled air. The most important thing is an airfilter on the inlet.

The discussion can begin!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

geo-thermal cooling is something i am looking at as well, i noticed the effect while building my koi pond on the drainage water.

even on a hot day the geothermal rising of the earth/soil doesnt change, but Neil H is a geologist and can confirm

4. LuckyFish

LuckyFish Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Hi Dallas, I thought you want to send me an email. I sent you a PM with my email address.

I am trying to google the soil temperature for SA.
    In Germany, the temperature in 1m depth is between 6 and 16 degrees, depending on the season.

Maybe Neil H can help out with facts. Please?

5. dallasg

i am now looking at this more, in jhb the temp of the soil 6ft and lower is about 10-15° constantly...
    i am going to make a closed loop system, with coiled titanium, really the only saltwater safe metal, in the sump, and then run copper tubing about 7ft down in to a shady area..

prototype showed a 5° drop in 30° in 20min, now just gotta work on the flow rate etc..

6. dallasg

which is close to 2400btu for 15w power

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Fantastic Dallas! Sounds great! Please keep us updated!

Recent Posts