Cooling of Large Water Volume

Reaction score
Lets say that one has a 4 thousand litres to cool. Do you guys think it will be more cost effective to use an aircon in the room, or conventional aquarium chillers?

Last edited:
i guess you gotta take into consideration the size of the room in regards to an aircon,then it can be decided on what size can be used

Well, the tank would be in a room that would require a 9000 btu aircon.

Obviously i do not want to waste money monthly on electricity unneccessarily, so what would be cheapest?

I would opt for the chiller Route, but thats just my opinion

Chilling is probably a lot more accurate, but the cost implications in the long term might be an issue. I will probably add one of those twirly extractor fan thingys on the roof.

just t5's and t8's, so not muxh heat will be generated by the lighting. All pumps will be external as well. I am worried about the ambient temperature doing funny things.

those twirly thingies are great Doberman

Maybe use the twirly thing and the chillers in conjunction?

Well I tried tha aircon thing but to be honest it does not work too great and cost abour R250 to run for the month and you still get temp swings. I would go the chiller route and have it outside so it does not heat up the room - also a twirly would help a bit...

That is the issue with the aircon, it doesn't allow "pin-point" accuracy with regard to temperature.

The room will be insulated, with polystyrene on the walls, and "think pink" stuff in the roof. I also reckon that a water volume of somewhere between 4 and 6 thousand litres will take a while to rise/fall in temp.

Yip it will be less affected by day and night at 6000l but over a year a chiller will work out cheaper - IMO

I think i would need 2 or 3 of those chillers that NP sells.

What would be the worst case power consumption of those chillers?

The AM titan 4000 uses 1500w

Recommended or aquariums up to 4000l

If practical,evapourative cooling,only downside is auto top up a neccesity and method to move air(vent and fans,twirly thingy)must be to outside of room(need duct)

So if you use two of them, it's 3kW.
3kW x 24hours x 31days = 2232kWH
At about 50c / kWH the worst case cost would be about R1,116 / month.
But ofcourse it won't be on all the time. Above is worst case.

Back
Top Bottom