Cooking rocks due to gha

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by ImAClown, 1 Feb 2009.

1. ImAClown

ImAClown

Hi guys

I've really been stuggling with gha, it's all over my rocks, glass and substrate. Phosphates is undetectable, so I guess the algae was locking it up. I decided to scrub all my live rock to get rid of most of the gha and blew it with a powerhead to get rid of all the bad inside them :D .. I'm cooking about 65% of the LR now, this will be the first time I'm cooking them. When I started with them I didn't even know what cooking or curing LR ment.

I did about a 30% water change aswell and tried to get rid of most of the gha on the substrate. There's still some left though.

What can the source of the algae outbreak be ?
    1) not cooking the LR
    2) the only janitors I had was boxing shrimp and a red legged hermit
    3) not skimming 24/7

I've added 2 blue legged hermits and an orange seastar.

Any suggestion I can do to keep the algae minimum ? Maybe try something like a phosphate remover ? I started a DSB a while ago, I dont know whether it's active yet or of it's not deep enough - 11cm

Thanks !!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. christiaan

christiaan

There is so much that can drive GHA - but Id like too ask why you dont skim 24/7 - IMO this is a good place to start

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

What water do you use for water changes?...... and evapouration top ups?
    Do/did you blow directly onto the LR with a turkey baster or a powerhead to blow out detritis?
    Why are you not skimming 24/7?
    What test kits are you using?

Start by answering these questions, so that we can narrow the cause down :)

5. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

I only used RO water.
    Yes, I blew directly onto the LR with a powerhead
    I'm skimming 24/7 now, the PH I used with the skimmer was making horrible sounds. So I had to replace the PH.

All my test kits aer Sera except the phosphates are tropic marin.

6. sunburst

sunburst

Welcome clown.:)

Big subject, although you already seem to have a good idea of what could be fuelling the problem. Phosphate...and there could be others.

Either way loosing weight...blah blah blah:)Its the same kJ input equals kJ output. If it does'nt you get growth.

I am a fan of cooking (some are not) which may remedy the current problem but not cure. The DSB is not a miracle cure, but providing it is treated properly can deal with nitrates, to a point.

As for skimming...welllll...why are you not skimming 24/7. This is your first line of defence.

7. christiaan

christiaan

I'd say skimming 24/7 will already help and using a liquid and Fe based Phosphate remover YOU'LL have great improvements already - also - if you can afford it - get better test kits - I use Salifert(TropicM is fine too) - well for the nitrates anyways

What is you current water params???

8. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

Okay kewl, thaks for all the advice so far!

My water params are:
    ammonia : 0
    nitrites : 0
    nitrates : finished need to get a new kit
    phospates : <0.01

I'll keep on skimming 24/7, its not the best skimmer btw. I have around 13Kg's of LR in a 100G tank, how much cleaners/janitors should there be ? Will that even help the problem?

About a month ago over cristmas my front glass pane cracked and I had it replaced. All of the substrate was in a container and when i oppened it, it was kinda black and smelled terrible .. not just an "ocean" smell. I cleaned it with tap water, drained it and washed it with RO water. Could that maybe have a part in all of this ?

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

The chances are thet the tap water was trapped in the substrate, keep on skimming and run a P04 remover, you weill win the battle, just make sure your parameters are spot on, manual removal helps too.

10. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Hey ImAClown. Your parameters are good, I do however think that you have very little rock for a tank of 460 litre system. You need more like 50kg's of LR IMO.

But since you mentioned that your glass cracked, which means you had to empty it out, I think that your tank might have cycled again and caused the algae to bloom while it was cycled. And I think the cycle must be finished now. Just a thought ;)

11. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

I think I'll put my money together then and buy rowaPhos tomorrow, that stuff is sooo expensive but I've read some articles just now and it appears to be worth the money. I'll slowly add more LR, maybe 5kg a month ? Do regular param checks and all the other advice you guys gave to me.

12. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

Okay, the Gha problem is much better than what it was. I'm running RowaPhos now and skimming 24/7 - crap skimmer.

But the gha is slowly but surely coming back. Any ideas what's still driving it ?

My params are:

po4 : <0.01mg/l
    no3 : 0 mg/l . . seems to me impossible ?
    no2 : 0
    NH3/NH4 : 0

Feeding brine once a day.

btw, is it normal for a clown pick at /eat algae ? Is he trying to impress my tang ? :lol:

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sure it's been mentioned, but iit sounds like the GHA is consuming all the nasties out of the water, there no pick-up on the tests, or you have dodgy test kits.

Most of the guys (Viper/Jacques) have found their Live Rock to be the cause.

14. Apollo

Apollo

Agree with Warr.

The GHA is locking down the phosphates & nitrates before they have time to leach into the water.

There are numerous options you can consider (most have been mentioned already), some of which unfortunately mean upsetting your existing setup:

1. Scrub down the rocks and cook them
    2. Manual removal of the algae to keep it in check
    3. Blasting your rocks daily with PH or turkeybaster and removing detritus. The skimmers gotta run 24/7 for this to have any positive effect.

If you are manually removing the algae from the rocks , a word of advice:
    Make sure that you siphon while manually removing the algae. Any filaments left floating around in the tank will re-attach themselves. The same applies if you are removing algae from the substrate.

Oh, and obsviously you don't want to do any scrubbing on the rocks while in the tank as you'll only be spreading the problem further.

15. sunburst

sunburst

[/quote]
    :)Just to reiterate, ...the skimmer must be capable of removing the suspended waste . Agreed Rowa phos is ridiculously expensive. Its finer consistency sets it apart from the other iron sponges. However a skimmer upgrade would be a longer term solution. Put the big bucks there

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

QUITE correct SunBurst! MY skimmer upgrade already made a HUGE difference in my tank!

17. sunburst

sunburst

Glad you are happy with the results of that monster air sucker JB. It's like a eureka moment when you see the effects it has on life
    Leave the thing for turkeys.:) This is the machine for men who expect more. Its the big blower

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Apollo

Apollo

Mhhmm.... Now you're talking. Saw one of those at Pick&Pay I think.

BUT, for my little little tank it would be like swatting a fly with a 10 pound hammer. I'll blast the rock and substrate out the water with this thing :lol::lol:

19. sunburst

sunburst

:)Then just exercise some elbow control. You could even do your water change with this guy:)

20. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

thats using you brain!!:thumbup:

GHA is such a pain in the @$$

21. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

It's starting to look like I'm winning the battle with the gha when it comes to my live rock. It's my substrate which is covered by it.

I removed all of the algae by hand and then siphoned and did a water change.
    Now with most of the algae gone on the substrate, there is still an awful amount of detritus in it, which can't be siphoned out. Whenever I disturb the sand bed, the water clouds up and a lot of detritus end up in the water column.

Should I keep on disturbing it a few times a day and leave it to the skimmer?

One more thing, I don't know if my skimmer is doing the best it can. In my sump , it's in 2nd last chamber, first the water goes through some filter floss (which I replace regularly) and then through ceramic rings. I removed the DSB for now, I will give it another shot at a later time. It doesn't appear to me that the "dirty water" reaches the skimmer. Will it help if I place the skimmer in the main display when disturbing the substrate ?

It's a queen skimmer but I'm running it with a 3000lph powerhead.

Recent Posts