Convict Tangs

Reaction score
Hello, I do not have personal experience with these fish. But I have however caught one from snorkeling this season, must say they are pretty little fish. I read however that they are shoaling fish. Would it be wise to keep one or more then one in a Reef?

I have a Yellow Tang, he chased him at the start but thats to be expected. His only 2cm while the Yellow Tang is about 15cm. and its a 1.2M tank.

Alan has got one in his tank, grown to be a beautiful specimen. He did regret putting it in his tank at one stage, I can't recall exactly why. But it is a really stunning fish now.

mmm, any specific reason as to why u say that Mudshark? Just stating they cant doesn't tell me why.

In the confined space of an aquarium they become territorial, even though they do shoal in the wild. It's probably an instictive reaction to protect a limited food source IMO. The stronger of the 2 fish will chase the other until there is only 1. As it is your 1.2m tank is going to be a problem as the 1 fish grows... they get to 27cm if I remember correctly? Imagine 2.

Hello, I do not have personal experience with these fish. But I have however caught one from snorkeling this season, must say they are pretty little fish. I read however that they are shoaling fish. Would it be wise to keep one or more then one in a Reef?

Hi Storm.I had one quite some years back.He was fine and only grew to about 8cm and then seemed to stop growing.They are serious vege chompers and they dont stop eating all day.So you have to be sure they can eat all the time(A mistake I made and mine died.)I got two a while ago and Mudshark is right,the one chases the other to death:(.I have the one left and for now he has enough bits of algae to chow,but that will not last and soon he's going to have to be supplemented with vege strips.Other than that,they are lovely fish to have.:thumbup:

Alan has got one in his tank, grown to be a beautiful specimen. He did regret putting it in his tank at one stage, I can't recall exactly why. But it is a really stunning fish now.

Errm, Dean, I think that is the damsel, I cant recall any Convict's in his tank. It is the Sergeant Major.

Convicts are amazing and they are have stunning "personalities", they are tenacious as hell and spend there life foraging for food, mine even muched hair algae id pulled short.

If you have plenty of rock in a 600L tank or above 2 should be ok, seem to be more intend on finding food :D

Stunning fish for some contrast against all the bright corals and fish.

Back
Top Bottom