Converting a fresh water to marine

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Reaper, 12 Nov 2014.

1. Reaper

Reaper

Hi all,

So my neighbour saw the development of my little boyu TL550, and now he's considering to make the change to marines. Here's the thing: he's got a big 2 meter tank, about 1000l fresh water system. So we worked out last night what it would cost him to convert, and we decided we're gonna try to do this on a really low budget.

The equipment is gonna be the biggest issue, so we're going to try to do a DIY setup (skimmer, lights, etc), unless he can find equipment for really cheap to fit his budget. Also, we're gonna source all the basic equipment first, before he starts the conversion - so if there's anyone out there who has some spare stuff lying around, please keep us in mind at a good price for a newbie.

Here's the to do list:
    Build new stand (currently the tank is sitting on the floor)
    Build a sump (or buy one if it can be found)
    Build a skimmer (I have done one before that kicked the asses of the best ones :tt2::m87: )
    Build a canopy and get some t5's in there - with enough open space to add halides or led's later
    Buy all the plumbing equipment
    Buy more pumps (he's only got about 2 or 3 in the tank now, not circulating nearly enough for marines)
    Then, as soon as everything is built or bought, drain current water, build an overflow corner and drill the tank for the piping.

Any help / comments / unwanted equipment / cheap offers of items he may need are welcome. I'll take some pics of his current tank tonight and post.

Also, he's doing this on a budget, so he can only source a little bit at a time. Damn, he's gonna owe me some serious :peroni: for all the help :lol:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Build new stand (currently the tank is sitting on the floor) - Cool :thumbup:

Build a sump (or buy one if it can be found) - Or buy a secondhand sump / tank and set that up.

Build a skimmer - so many tried, so many failed, again, look in the for sale section.

Build a canopy and get some t5's in there - cool, again, check out the for sale section.

4. Reaper

Reaper Thread Starter

Hehe thanx Riaan, that's more or less what he's trying to do.

Oh, and as for the skimmer, I built a mean one years ago, for a total of R500... but then again I got the acrylic cylinder and pump for free lol

Recent Posts