converting 2 dsb

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by frankie fish, 4 Sep 2009.

1. frankie fish

frankie fish

I finished my planning,started removing some of the ceramics and bio-balls,removed a pane of glass,now 2day i'm gonna buy the sand,wash it,and put it in the sump. Any further suggestions/advice on the thickness .of dsb(i was told about 10-15cm),i also have a few pieces of lr that i'm adding. The current lighting that i use in the sump is a Hopar unit,will it b sufficient,or should i improve,and what alternatives r there? In terms of adding snails & crabs,what else should i add,and the egg crate,is it a must,and what is it's purpose,and what should the rate of flow be? The size of the sump is 1500*500*500(overall size),size of dsb compartment,about 700*500*500. I will add pics as i move on.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Ok you asked a lot of questions:

1. wash the sand properly
    2. add the sand to the water and not to an empty sump. then it will not trap bubbles
    3. Playsand thickness should be 15cm
    4. Sump do not need light, except if you are running some macro flora like cheato.
    5. Snails and crabs, leave it for later, else they will starve in the first week. Let the DSB settle first. Wait at least 2 months.
    6. Eggcrate? i use it to slightly lift my cheato from the sand. Got like a 2cm space under eggcrate above sand for water flow.
    7. Flowrate, 3-4 times tank volume. Slow enough to let stuff settle without creating sandstorms.

Reef Maniac likes this.
  4. Tony

Tony

Spot on Riaan

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I concur - good advise :thumbup:

I don't know this light, but just about ANY light will be OK for the sump - many people use normal "energy saver" lamps. I once used a 250W MH on my sump, and had very good algae growth, but unfortunately the wiring became corroded by the damp salty air, and I had to replace it. Currently running 2 x 55W compact fluorescents on the 1.5m sump, and I have quite a few corals growing wild down there, so I can't complain :) (by the way, I do believe that the sump should be lit, and that one should use it as a "refugium" to grow whatever algae one can grow (caulerpa, halimeda, chaetomorpha, even hair algae...)

Hennie

6. frankie fish

frankie fish Thread Starter

Here are some pics on progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    From the top, before i started,glass pane removed,first bag of sand added,the skimmer went mad with all the debris from the bio balls and rings which i removed,and the ceramics and crushed coral i removed (coarse). today i" gonna add more sand to reach 15cm,it's currently 8-9cm. i will keep on adding pics on progress:yeahdude::yeahdude:

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Recent Posts