Convert to a larger tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by greenie, 18 Sep 2010.

1. greenie

greenie

Afternoon, I am one of those who started with a smaller (90 liter) tank and now plan to go for +/- 200 liter. I have read an article that the switch over can be done more or less as follows:

By filling the new tank 3/4 full of water and let it run for about 24 hours. Then test for pH and temperature and if no difference proceed with the move of your life rock and gravel and lastly your fish.

Can some one please tell me whether this sounds correct and what about coral/ Can it also be moved together with the fish? (I do not plan to run the old tank at the same time any longer). What about nitrite and nitrate levels at this stage?

Please advise.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SIMS

SIMS

I would not move over like this...rather get the new system up and running and slowly move everything over. Doing it all in 1 day is stressful for the live stock IMO. I have done it like that before and it aint fun.

4. SIMS

SIMS

but it can be done the way you mentioned...

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Is time an issue / is the tank going in the same place as the existing one / are you moving to a new house or are you buying a new complete setup? those are usually valid reasons to do the move in one go, as SIMS says it is stressfull and almost always results in some sort of loss ......

i reccommend if possible to set it up slowly, put some LR in and let it cycle (can be sppeded up using things like bacteria additions) then when it is stable move the LS across and convert the old tank to a hospital or QT tank

6. Ash

Ash Coral biologist

Moving cured live rock in one go isn't a problem. BUT moving sand like you mention can be! Often there are toxic compounds in the anaerobic areas and disturbing the sand can release these. Also once a DSB or even sand at the bottom of tank is disturbed if takes time for it to re-cure. It will be seeded with the right bacteria and critters but it'll take time for them to move or recolonize the correct area of the sand. During this process there can be substantial die-off which will affect water quality. One aspect that people often overlook is that the actual glass tank and piping also need a short time to cure and flush out any chemicals that may be left from glues, ect.

Moving the corals over will stress them and in tern they release secondary compounds which can be toxic to others. So if you move them all at once these compounds and be overbearing and you may lose the weaker colonies.

I would move pieces of LR over and after a week or so start moving fish and coral. Just a few a day and monitor WQ closely. Then once the old tank is empty remove 90% of the sand and wash it well before putting it into the new system. Then move the remaining sand over which will seed the rest.

Its a slower way of doing it but safer.

7. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

I am with SIMS on this one, Preferably do the move over a few weeks, first moving the Rock then coral and lastly fish.

If you are unable to move over a few weeks (like me)

What i did was

1)Get the new tank in place (4 weeks before move)
    2) Start the new DSB (seeded from the running DSB) (4 weeks before move)
    3) Dose bacteria (Seachem stability)
    4) Start filling new tank with water (bear in mind that you want to re-use as much of the old tank water as possible)
    5)Move over rock
    6)Move over coral
    7)Move over fish (LEAVE LIGHTS AND POWERHEADS OFF, Return pump for flow only - for about an hour)
    8)continue dosing bacteria
    9)skim wet

All should be well, just try not to disturb the substrate too much when you empty the old tank.

Leave the lights off for the rest of the day to help avoid stressing the fish

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  8. greenie

greenie Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Is it possible to buy live sand?
    Currently the sand bed in my tank is about 4/5 cm thick and I am now worried it will be disturbed when transferring to the new tank.

Recent Posts