Convert Jebo Hood Of T8's To T5 Or Mh

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Pugsly, 7 Jul 2009.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly

Hi all,

I have a jebo marine tank and stunning hood i got with it.
    One problem I have learnt since reading on this site (thank god for you guys) is that the current T8 lights in it just won't do!!!!! I have 8 T8 tubes in the hood (made by jebo.

how can I upgrade this to say at least T5 or even MH?
    Has anyone ever done this before?

What are your feelings - I don't want to lose the hood and replace it completly as it sit great on the tank and looks fantastic!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tinusb

tinusb

Pugsly,

Good luck. You're going to need it - the jebo hoods are not very userfriendly if you need to modify it.

I've got the R219 tank, and modded it's hood... Still am running 2x blue T8's, along with 4x 45W Energy Saver Bulbs [which needs to replaced almost every 6 months, because the glass tubes are melting out of the housing, because of excessive heat generated!]

If I have to do it all over again... I'll start by NOT buying the Jebo tank... tanks are great, but not for marines, imo.

Anyway, lemme know if you need some pics of what I've done.

Tinus

Last edited: 7 Jul 2009
  4. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

luck - I know going to need it big time!

Some pics of yours will be nice.

I was actually thinking / wondering - saw a boyu MH hood that hangs from the ceiling - wonder if that would work by placing it on top of the tank?

5. tinusb

tinusb

pm me ur email address.

6. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

seems no one has ideas regarding what to do best for this upgrade - come on guys, a little help here please!

7. inflames

inflames

Sorry Pugsly..dont know that hood very well! I recon Tinusb will be your best bet as he has 1st hand experience with this!

GOOD LUCK!!!:thumbup1:

8. brettb2020

brettb2020

pugsly i added t5's and mh to my jebo hood. Took i bit of diying but looks really good now. Look under my threads. Im online with my phone at the moment so cant give you the link. Il give some more details when i get home.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

thanks brett, had a look at yours looks very cool. My hood though is huge as in 2000x650 and only 60 high. has 8 T8 tubes in it at the moment.

Thinking of only going the T5 route. 8 T5 tubes should be enought don't you think? Will probably put in 2 fans to help with the heat.

10. brettb2020

brettb2020

will be easy to fit 8 t5's as they so thin. all you have to do is change the end caps and change the ballasts to electronic. But for that size tank you gonna need 80watt T5's bulbs and ballasts which is going to set you back an arm and a leg! thats 640watts of light. which is enough id say!

11. pch356

pch356

I went through the trouble of converting the T8's in my Jebo tank lid to T5's. It is a complicated and time consuming process, but it is possible..... Your vocabulary will just get stretched to its limits a bit ;).

Everything is siliconed on the seams to make it damp proof and need to be cut away with a sharp knife and then be re-silconed again...... very difficult if you try it alone.....I fitted two dual ballasts powering 4 lights.

The downside of this was that I started to develop serious heat problems. The balasts get very hot. In the summer the water temp averaged between 28 and 30 degrees easily. This necessitates the use of a chiller.

I went through the whole process again to take the lid apart and I moved the ballasts to the cabinet below..... heat problem solved. So I just run the cables through the openings in the lid. This option worked better for me.

12. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

PCH365 - do have any pictures of this mod?
    What wattage tubes and ballasts did you use? How much did this set you back?

Brettb2020 is talking of 80w tubes and ballasts - do you get these?

13. pch356

pch356

Mine was only 39 Watts. My tank is only 1200mm long, so these work fine for me. I am not sure how the lid of your tank looks.

I'm not up to date with this type of hardware and am therefore not sure about the 80 watts ballasts.......

Initially I had the DIY ballasts that I bought from LFS. They worked well inside the lid, as they took up little space and you make the system up yourself, so you make the leads to the tubes as long as the need to be.... the heat problem was just a a bummer. Ballasts cost me about R250 each and tubes about R250 to R289 each, if I remember correctly :(

When I moved the ballasts to the cabinet I then changed to complete pre-assembled units - plug and play ballasts with damp proof end caps etc. which set me back R350 per unit. I used my old tubes. :thumbup:

14. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Oh ok - Thanks for the tip pch365.

So I will look at getting the kit then - mount ballasts in the cabinet and not the hood.

If I put in 8 39w should that not be enought? Should I search for more watt maybe?
    If I use 8 tubes - how many white ones and how many blue ones?

15. pch356

pch356

Hmmmmm .... there u should tap on the shoulders of the gurus on the forum for an answer ... I’m not really a fundi on lighting, and the amount of lighting needed...

I used even numbered white and actinic tubes which works fine for me ... I put the different sets separately on timers to switch on 30mins apart and off again in the evening ... I also added a single t8 actinic as a first phase in the morning and a last phase before lights out ... works ok as a "moonlight"

I know some guys actually install fans in the lid to assist with cooling, but then water evaporation will increase again ...

Good luck .. it is worth it though ..... the looks of my tank actually improved just because of the upgraded lighting ....

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Pugsley - how deep is your tank? This all depends on the depth of the tank.

8 x 39 watt SHOULD be enough. That gives you 312 watt of lighting. Which should be more than ample to even keep SPS later on.

W.r.t the ratio white to blue - I always work on 3 to 1 - for every 3 white globes, you put a blue / actinic globe.....

17. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

thanks jacquesb.
    My tank is 750 deep. heard that t5's would not work that well then and should look at MH - that is going to set me back around 5k!!!!!! Must be a cheaper way of doing things.
    Jacquesb, do you think I will be sorted with those T5's? 8 of them as said earlier

18. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

OK - 750mm is a wee bit deep - but you should still be 100% fine, if you can get your light loving corals high up on the rockwork.
    There are PLENTY corals that would be more than happy to live lower down in the tank.

And YES - 8 x 39 watt T5's would be fine for your tank.

19. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Hey there.

Been a bit busy with the sump conversion etc etc etc - tank is looking better now with the increase flow in DT and new sump with DSB.

Now to finish what I started with regards to lighting. I think I must rather go with 8* 54w T5's - do you guys agree? Think it will be better that 8*39w T5's.

How many should be be white or blue etc - any colour options I should go with?

20. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

PS. - I measured the actual depth from bottom of DT to water level and it is 550. hope this will aid you guys

21. Falcon

Falcon

pugsly slow down a bit...whoaa.....lol down boy.....:p

did you read the sticky on in depth aqauruim lighting?if not i suggest you do right now bro.

ok in order to give you some personalised help i need to know one main question first,WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KEEP IN THIS TANK? sps needs high light,lps meduim to high light and softies need meduim light.

so do you want mushrooms and leathers only,or how about some hammers?
    or do you wanna go all out for sps awesome colours and high calcuim needs lol...which type?

Recent Posts