Convert Internal "Sump" to External..?

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by belindamotion, 23 Jul 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

As most probably know by now, I'm seriously looking for a proper Protein Skimmer for my Boyu TL-450..:(..The dimensions on this Tank is ridiculous..something like 7cm by 9cm..:eek:.. I'm short with a cm either way, no matter what "nano" Skimmer I'm looking at..:( Don't want to do Hang-On as I don't like the "sticking out at the back" of the Tank and then the Hood can't open fully neither, which would probably require another "cut-out" mod..."Worst case scenario"..power failure and water all over my plugs at the back..:blush::eek:

The only other option for me is if my "Skimmer Section" is on the outside of my Tank...My Tank has the Boyu Stand so I can "house" my Protein Skimmer there, inside the cupboard....that is possible..? A "sump" on the outside, basically just for the Internal Skimmer...

I'm looking at the Reeftek In-Sump TS1 Protein Skimmer...
    Rated for:

Up to 350L

Foot Print Dimensions:
    230mm x 150mm

Reaction Chamber Dimensions:
    280mm High
    100mm Diameter

Total Height Including Cup:
    435mm

Pumps:
    1 x King-2

Is it possible just to do a "sump" at the bottom of my cabinet to house it..if so, how big must it be...? Then the compartments in my Tank can be as follows: 1 is Filter Floss and PhosGuard, 2 is Filter Floss and Ammonia Absorbing Stones..at the moment everything is in 1 and the Boyu Skimmer is in 2....3 is my LR and 4 is currently my Heater....

In case of power failure, I settle for water all over the floor, but very fearful of water and electricity:eek:

If I can do it...could I please get some info on how the pumps would go.."in" which chamber.."out" which chamber..:blush::blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It is virtually impossible to balance two pumps exactly, even if they are identical, just the slightest of difference will cause either your sump or your tank to be drained, it's just not worth the risk. My advice would be to either look into getting the tank drilled (if it can be) or fitting an overflow box.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Recent Posts