Constant Salty Taste

Reaction score
Im just curious, has anyone experienced a salty taste after setting up a tank? i.e mixing the salt yourself?

This salty taste continues days after setup:cursing:

Reaction score
Simple explanation for this: Salt water evaporates naturally and condenses at night within the metal water pipes in your home. Whenever you open a tap there will be some salt from the condensation hence the salty taste, you will become accustomed to this over time

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
Simple explanation for this: Salt water evaporates naturally and condenses at night within the metal water pipes in your home. Whenever you open a tap there will be some salt from the condensation hence the salty taste, you will become accustomed to this over time
What do you mean? The salt doesn’t evaporate, just the water part does, and leaves salt behind, hence why we top up with RO and not salt water.

I suspect you might have breathed in some of the powder part of the salt when mixing it, have had the same happen in past as the salt sometimes makes a fine airborne dust when you shake the bucket or throw it into water.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.... @hotdog83 , what you said make sense because there was some very fine powder that was airborne but I did not think that effects would last this long... Need to ventilate the house before the family gets back :thumbup1:. Dont need a reason not to have a marine tank